Marriage / Domestic Partnerships

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you mean married as in a man and woman, plus a same sex domestic partnership?

Legally it isn't bigamy, but a married person might not be allowed to execute a domestic partnership contract.

I suggest you pose this question to your county prosecutor's office or district attorney.

I am a single mom with three chrildren. I purchased a home with my partner last November, He paid 3100 dollars down and I paid 4200 dollars ddown on this home.The loan for the home is in his name. the Utilities are in my name. The deed is in his name now he is trying to throw myself and my chrildren out of this house. what can I do . What are my options

I am a single mom with three chrildren. I purchased a home with my partner last November, He paid 3100 dollars down and I paid 4200 dollars ddown on this home.The loan for the home is in his name. the Utilities are in my name. The deed is in his name now he is trying to throw myself and my chrildren out of this house. what can I do . What are my options

He is the legal owner of the home.

You are merely a tenant.

He cant order you to leave, unless you wish to leave.

He can, however, file an eviction action against you.

That could take anywhere from 4-8 weeks, maybe 10 weeks.

It won't matter, you will eventually be evicted.

I suggest you begin looking for new living arrangements for your and your kids.

You do have some time, so use it wisely.

In the future, do not purchase property (or BIG ticket items) with a person who is not your spouse.

There are remedies for divorcing spouses that do not exist for "live in" lovers!

Thank you for the information. I guess the money I paid down on the house is lost. I went to the bank with him and ,I know the people we recieved the loan from it is my local bank. I wrote a check to them in front of the loan officcer for this amount.

Thank you for the information. I guess the money I paid down on the house is lost. I went to the bank with him and ,I know the people we recieved the loan from it is my local bank. I wrote a check to them in front of the loan officcer for this amount.

If you have no contract, he could say you gave him the money to repay a loan.

I don't doubt that you gave this creep the money.

But, I'm not the small claims court judge you would have to convince.

That said, getting the money back should be the least of your immediate concerns.

You can deal with that at a later time AFTER you secure new housing for your and your babies.

I suggest you focus intensely on securing new housing and moving away from this cheating creep!

You say it is your "partner".... are you legally married or registered as domestic partners in California? If so, you will have the same protection as married spouses in such a case (Family Code 297.5)

If you are only dating, then you have less protection here, and tenant law applies and he would have to evict you if you do not leave willingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back