Permanent Residency Marriage and Permanent Residency Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

maggie

I am Canadian and recently engaged to my American fiance(we are 1 hour from each other). We are planning on marrying at the end of Aug. However, I can't leave my job(in Canada) until a year from now. So, I won't be able to move down there and stay down until a year from now. Will I be able to continue to work in Canada and still get married in Aug and still be able to come up everyday to work in Canada?
PS - I hear that it makes all the paper work harder to gi through if we wait for me to apply for permanent residency after the wedding...
Thanks SO much!
:D

Yes, I believe it is the case that paperwork will be more challenging after the wedding and getting married first will be much easier. I think that the first thing you'll have to do is have your fiancee sponsor you for a visa. The petition can be processed at the US Consulate in Montreal and then there is the consular interview, which when completed you can enter the USA as a permanent resident of the US. From what I understand you can also file for the same with the USCIS and also for a K-3 Visa ( wife/spouse of US citizen), afterwards is processing for permanent residence once in the US.

maggie said:
I am Canadian and recently engaged to my American fiance(we are 1 hour from each other). We are planning on marrying at the end of Aug. However, I can't leave my job(in Canada) until a year from now. So, I won't be able to move down there and stay down until a year from now. Will I be able to continue to work in Canada and still get married in Aug and still be able to come up everyday to work in Canada?
PS - I hear that it makes all the paper work harder to gi through if we wait for me to apply for permanent residency after the wedding...
Thanks SO much!
:D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back