Mans Best Friend

Ryan McLaughlin

Jurisdiction
Ohio
My employer had gotten a guard dog for his business. This was shortly after and employee was mugged at gunpoint in the parking lot early one morning. He wasn't around the office long as some employees had a fear of dogs. He stayed with my employer after that. When my employer would go out of town he would have me watch him by bringing him to my home. These out of town trips became more frequent and I had the dog more. Then the pandemic hit and I have pretty much had the dog for almost a year now.
Recently the catalytic converters have been stolen from a few of the vans in my employers fleet. He wants me to keep the dog overnights at the parking lot. Mind you the temperatures have been in the low 40s and upper 30s at night and rainy. I complied with this for the first few nights. As much as it broke my heart to leave my friend confused, alone and cold. Now he is skiddish and not responding to me well. What can I do to make my employer understand that this isn't right?

This is one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't situations.

One option: Take the dog to work, hand him over to your boss and say, "Your dog, boss, I'm not doing this any more."

Another option: Just refuse to leave the dog out in the cold over night.

Unfortunately, your boss has become accustomed to using you as a doormat and is going to be pissed if you stand up to him. You might end up on the unemployment line if you push it.

What can I do to make my employer understand that this isn't right?

Very often what Mr. XYZ believes to be RIGHT, Mr. ABC believes it to be WRONG.

It is difficult to teach a belief to a child, but teaching children can be done.

Teaching another adult anything, UNLESS that adult desires to be taught, is a path fraught with defiance, recalcitrance, obstinence, intransigence, and adamance.

The only one who will end up being taught one of the University of Hard Knocks' PAINFUL lessons is likely to be you.

@adjusterjack offered you a sound strategy above:

One option: Take the dog to work, hand him over to your boss and say, "Your dog, boss, I'm not doing this any more."

The ONLY alteration I'd make is to say it in a softer, gentler way, "Sorry Boss, I'm unable to care for your dog any longer. However, here's "ROVER", as my landlord will no longer allow me to have any animal weighing more than five pounds."

As a dog lover, I understand your concern. And while I'd love for you to run away from the job WITH the dog, I know that's not practical, and probably illegal.

If you'd like to keep both the dog safe AND your job, have you thought of building the dog an insulated dog house for the parking lot?

Back