Maintenance recorded apartment interior

Subsection (1) of FSA 934.03 criminalizes the intentional interception or attempted interception, by various means, of communications and the disclosure of such communications.

That's not what happened here, unless you think the maintenance guy's (singular) utterance was a communication with an imaginary friend or higher being (which wouldn't appear to fall within the definition of "communication," and neither does talking to oneself). Subsections (2) and (3) concern completely irrelevant situations, and subsection (4) addresses punishment. Before pressing the OP to cite law that supports his conclusion, you ought to do more than cite a rather long (~2,400 words) statute and claim that the statute makes the recording in question "likely" illegal.

(a) Intentionally intercepts, endeavors to intercept, or procures any other person to intercept or endeavor to intercept any wire, oral, or electronic communication;

According to the OP there was another person there.

Every month my apartment sends pest control and a maintenence person around.

And there is nothing in the law that exempts communication to one's self.

there is nothing in the law that exempts communication to one's self.

Nor is there anything in the statute that defines "communication" to include talking with oneself.

Lacking a statutory definition, a court would apply common sense and ordinary English definitions of words, and "communicate" implies there is a person doing the communicating and at least one other person receiving the communication.

According to the OP there was another person there.

First, the OP's statement that, "Every month my apartment sends pest control and a maintenance person around" does not compel the conclusion that the "pest control" person and the "maintenance person" are present at the same time. Second, that's a general statement that is not necessarily applicable to this particular situation. Third, and most importantly, the OP told us the following: "Today I saw the maintenance person pull his phone out of his pocket and start recording the living room and kitchen area. Is he allowed to do that under the guise of pest control?" There is nothing in that statement that could be reasonably interpreted as meaning more than one person was present.

Back