Repairs, Maintenance Maintenance of Toilet, Sink

Status
Not open for further replies.

LuckyN

Is it the responsibility of a landlord to unclog a sink or toilet when tenants call? I have been called several times to unplug a tenant's toilet and sink and it costs me a lot of money because the job requires professional services. Is it the tenant's job to unclog? Thanks

I would think if it was due to "normal wear & tear" - it would be landlord's responsibility. If it's the tenant's fault, then it would seem it would be their responsibility. Is there anything in the lease or that they signed re responsibility?

Someone else may have add'l. info for you.

If there is a plumbing problem it is your responsibility.
If the tenant is causing the problem it is the tenants responsibility.
Perhaps you could have a plumber come one time and determine where the problem is. That would help to decide how to handle future complaints

Again, what's the reason for these clogs? If the tenants have flushed something down the toilet that's more than the usual "bodily fluids" (i.e., sanitary napkins, childrens toys, cooking grease) the cost of unclogging is on them. If the toilet clog is due to, say, tree roots growing into the sewer lines, the cost of dealing with this is on the landlord.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back