Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Mail Theft

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaitsofspades

I know this may seem silly to some of you, considering that there are much more serious criminal problems in the world, but just hear me out for a moment.

I recently moved out of a bad roommate situation and into a new apartment at the beginning of this month. As expected, it took a few extra days for my mail to be forwarded from my old address to my new address. During that time some important mail came from my bank, including a new box of blank checks and a new ATM card. They weren't forwarded, they were sent to the old address, and instead of sending them back unopened or notifying me my old roommate threw these items into the trash. She did not even attempt to shred them in any way. I know this may not seem like a big deal to most, but I am a student and although I had the checks and the card cancelled through the bank I am concerned a thief may still be able to use them against me, and I really don't want to be a victim of identity theft. So I'm pretty upset and basically what I want to know is, can I press charges against her for mail theft? Also if someone finds the mail and uses it to steal from me, can I hold her responsible and sue her for damages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back