Madden 13 players

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmn77

I want to make a mobile app with players names, their team name, and their rating from Madden. It is for one of the game modes where you collect cards. Is making lists of these collections and using the collection names from in the game violating copyright law or other legal laws?

I would expect you would be stepping on the NFL's toes as well as EA Sports since they have marketing rights on that info.

If it is a free app then you might be ok.

Okay thanks so even using the nfl players names could be a problem? And none of this could meet criteria for "fair use"?

Okay thanks so even using the nfl players' names could be a problem? And none of this could be considered "fair use"?

If the app is free and I put ads on it. Is that the same as selling it for a profit to where copyright laws may come into effect or is that allowed? Also, if that is acceptable, could I then make a version for sale without ads as the profit would be for taking off the ads not directly using the players names etc. for the profit. Just looking for some loophole to giving away all the royalties from the little bit I may get back. Thanks for the help.

I think you'll find that even using the names of NFL players is going to cause you angst.

Seriously - don't go there. You will be buried in legal fees. Both EA and the NFL have the ability to ruin you financially - forever.

I'm not sure what you're doing in order to provide a good answer. A couple of thoughts:

(1) Even if an issue is borderline, if money is to be made I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL sent a cease and desist and may even send a copy to Apple and your app would be effectively removed from the AppStore. Same goes for the Android Market or Android Play.

(2) There may be issues with trademark, just for starters. Use of an NFL team name puts what you want to do in question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back