Lump sum payment from separation agreement tax deductible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jodost

I am preparing my taxes, and was wondering if I can deduct the $6,000 below. I know it's not taxable income for Ex-wife, but was wondering if I can deduct it on my taxes.

Article II

PROPERTY DIVISION

G. Tax-Free Lump Sump Payment. Upon the acceptance of this Agreement by the Court, the
Husband shall pay to the Wife a tax-free lump sum payment of $6,000, representing the amounts she paid for improvements on the Condo.

Last edited:
I am preparing my taxes, and was wondering if I can deduct the $6,000 below. I know it's not taxable income for Ex-wife, but was wondering if I can deduct it on my taxes.

Article II

PROPERTY DIVISION

G. Tax-Free Lump Sump Payment. Upon the acceptance of this Agreement by the Court, the
Husband shall pay to the Wife a tax-free lump sum payment of $6,000, representing the amounts she paid for improvements on the Condo.

I'm no tax expert, but I don't believe you can deduct it. It seems to be part of your property settlement, not alimony or spousal support.

Stay tuned for more replies.

Article II

PROPERTY DIVISION

Not only isn't it deductible, but you'll have to gross the $6,000 up!

You probably want to speak with your accountant or tax attorney about this, before you do anything else!

That $6,000 payment could approximate $7,200-7,500 when all is said and done.

Nevertheless, it'll be north of $6,500 for sure.

The $6,000 payment also has state tax ramifications.

There were better ways to settle this, but we're not talking about $600,000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back