Loyalty Oaths

Status
Not open for further replies.

tnmusician

I assume that the TN School Board Assoc. has done it's homework, but I am scratching my head. This year and last year we have had to sign this:

I, _________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support the Constitution of the State of Tennessee and the United States of America.

According to this:

TCA 49-5-405. Teachers—Loyalty oaths. —
(a) All persons now teaching or who may hereafter
be employed as teachers in any school supported in whole or in part by public funds of the state,
county or municipality shall be required to take and subscribe to an oath to support the constitutions
of the United States and Tennessee.
(b) Any person who is an applicant for a position as a teacher in the schools referred to
in subsection (a) who refuses to take such oath shall not be employed, and those who are now
employed and who refuse to take the oath above referred to shall be immediately dismissed from the
service.

I assume they are legally allowed to do this, so my question is: What does this mean exactly? What if I campaign to amend a portion of the constitution? Do they make citizens of other countries do this too?

The meaning is clear.
But, signing it is meaningless.
You're simply saying that you'll obey all laws of the land.
US law is unconcerned (as so it should be) with laws in Zimbabwe, Egypt, Israel, or even England.

Make your life easy, others have wasted time trying to change those words, too.
And, yet they persist.

It's like standing for the National Anthem, you aren't mandated to stand.
Some people choose to stand out of courtesy, others out of fear,standing isn't required (except for active duty service members).

Yes, even in civvies they stand. It's called the honor system, like some people once played golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back