Low-Balled Vehicle Totaled Value

Status
Not open for further replies.

calduffys

I live in Vacaville Ca. Solano County

My vehicle (2005 Hyundai Elantra) was parked on the steet in front of my house. Other vehicle driver abandoned here vehicle while moving as cats (yes cats) had apparently taken refuge in her car overnight and starting fighting. These were not her cats, strays that had got in through open window overnight. Vehicle traveled through an intersection, passed one car and impacted my car after travelling approximately 500ft without driver. Although I have not gotten full report from adjuster, car is totaled. I anticipate a low ball price from her insurance company. My Hyundai was a great little car that I commute to SFO airport daily and is (was) in great shape with all maintenance done, tires less than 3000 miles ago, new timing belt and in near perfect appearance. Sorry for the diatribe, but it is an interesting event.
Here are the questions. If the insurance company offer is a low-baller, can I fight it? Can I sue owner of other vehicle for negligence for abandoning her car while in motion? Car KBB value is about $8000. If I get a ridiculous offer, which is likely, can I sue for $7500 in small claims? What are my chances of winning if I do, provided I can provide documentation of proper upkeep of vehicle, recent cash outlays for maintenance, pictures of non-damaged side to prove condition of vehicle? Thanks for any assistance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back