Lost job and can't pay contractual maintenance, now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

up2itnow

In 2010 my Ex got $1889 per month contractual maintenance from me plus $768 in child support. Last year, I won custody back and $448 per month in support. We offset the maintenance total with support and I paid the balance.

I recently lost my job (in April). I attempted to start my own lawn care business just to get some money coming in quickly. That didn't work out, I have liquidated my equipment and used up my 401k to continue making my payments. Now, I can no longer continue to pay the contractual maintenance. I am going to file to modify child support but since the maintenance is contractual and I can't pay it, I don't know what to expect. I applied for unemployment but that won't come in until Sept. and food stamps. I am working very hard to find a job (6 interviews no offers)

What are my options? Will a judge modify contractual maintenance? What can I likely expect to transpire?

Obviously I don't have the money for an attorney or I would be asking them.

Thanks

Disagreeable, I just saw your reply, didn't get notification email for some reason. Thank you for your help. I think I have scraped together enough to pay for the filing fees so I will fill out the forms and hope for the best. Again I appreciate your help.
Sincerely,
Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back