Lose my house?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sphere360

Recently, I went through a divorce. I have been living in my home for more than 5 years. My ex-husband and I purchased the house more than five years ago. Not long after the purchase of our home, I paid the mortgage off with money I was awarded through a medical malpractice claim. In the recent months, I have learned the deed for the house and the home loan that I paid off was in my ex-husband's sister's name. I was never aware of this and never knew to have the deed transferred over. I guess I just trusted my husband. I am still living in the house and maintaining the utilities and upkeep. My husband stated he did not have any interest in the house during out divorce. My ex-husband's sister has filed a lawsuit against me because I am forcibly in her house without rent. The only major proof I have of ownership is the check I wrote to pay the loan off and the utilities I am/have paid. I have hired a lawyer, but I was curious if you can give me some information on my rights and the different possible outcomes of my case.

Thanks

Sphere360 said:
Recently, I went through a divorce. I have been living in my home for more than 5 years. My ex-husband and I purchased the house more than five years ago. Not long after the purchase of our home, I paid the mortgage off with money I was awarded through a medical malpractice claim. In the recent months, I have learned the deed for the house and the home loan that I paid off was in my ex-husband's sister's name. I was never aware of this and never knew to have the deed transferred over. I guess I just trusted my husband. I am still living in the house and maintaining the utilities and upkeep. My husband stated he did not have any interest in the house during out divorce. My ex-husband's sister has filed a lawsuit against me because I am forcibly in her house without rent. The only major proof I have of ownership is the check I wrote to pay the loan off and the utilities I am/have paid. I have hired a lawyer, but I was curious if you can give me some information on my rights and the different possible outcomes of my case.
Your lawyer is in the best position to advise you. There are many complexities and he has all the documentation.

Let me ask you this -- what was the outcome of the divorce decree with regard to the house? I am sure you must have dealt with it -- or should have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back