looking for others with retinal detachments from airbags

Status
Not open for further replies.

thomasa

Four months ago, I was in a car accident where I was forced off the road and struck a telephone pole. My airbag deployed and caused my retina to tear and detach. I did LOTS of research on the medical and legal aspects of retinal detachments, am just now beginning the negotiation process with the adjuster. The adjuster, of course, doesn't realize the seriousness of the injury and is jerking me around.

I am trying to find other people who have had retinal detachments as a result of car accidents. I would like to make a compilation of data regarding treatment, settlement, and post-settlement retinal problems. If anyone has been through something even remotely like this, please let me know.

Thanks.

Do you have representation? You may wish to do far more than contacting other people who have had retina detachments, perhaps even hiring someone to present you cases of those similar to yourself and what the average settlements or verdicts were. Most of all, you should probably tell the adjuster to quit jerking you around or else you will, unfortunately, have to bring a lawyer into the case and you can guarantee that settling the case will not be done as cheaply!!!

While I have not hired a lawyer to date, I have done much legal research in the area. I have found several publications in Personal Injury Verdict Reviews that indicate the average award for a person with my injuries is almost twice my demand. In addition, I've located several jury verdicts in my locale indicating that the award by jury was roughly my demand. I do have a lawyer lined up, in the event that the adjuster and I cannot reach a settlement.

I think you're last statement is what it's coming down to. He is trying to jerk me around, and I am getting fed up. I'm going to try to negotiate with him in the next few weeks, but will most likely end up getting legal representation. I fell confident that if the case goes to trial, I should be able to get at least what my initial demand is. Sadly, a third of that will go to the attorney, but oh well! It's better than the measley amount the adjuster is offering.

You can cease negotiations and tell him you are hiring an attorney. Don't expect to get published verdict amounts -- those are usually good results. Part of the compromise is that you realize that there is a cost and risk in going to trial and that you won't get close to the verdict amount. You might be happy getting 2/3 of the amount without the trial and risk in not getting much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back