Long term disability

helpme18

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
My employer offers long term disability at an extra cost, however they didn't mention to me that I was not eligible to receive it because I'm on social security. They did inform me that if I was on social security disability that I would not be eligible. I paid out over $3,000 for this benefit. I don't make much money and I asked for a refund, but they won't talk to me or answer my emails. The benefit would have been approximately $984 a month, my social security is $1400 a month.

They didn't mention to me that I was not eligible to receive it because I'm on social security.

They did inform me that if I was on social security disability that I would not be eligible.

Reread the two sentences I quoted above from your post.

Your responses negate your claim that you didn't know.

You may NOT have known, but you were informed.

Common sense would reveal to most people that no insurance company will insure a person whom the government has classified as 100% disabled.

I am on social security insurance not disability insurance. My employer is aware of this and told me it was only the disability insurance that would make be ineligible.

I am on social security insurance not disability insurance. My employer is aware of this and told me it was only the disability insurance that would make be ineligible.

There is NOTHING a bunch of internet strangers can do, no magic word you can use to reach the outcome you desire.

If you have a complaint, I suggest you take it up with your employer's benefits department or human resources department.

You might have to contact the insurer to seek a refund, unless your employer is self insured.

Again, take your concerns to your employer's appropriate representatives.

If your employer collected money for a benefit you are not eligible to receive then you likely have a good argument to make for compensation.

If you can not resolve this on your own with the employer then you will require the services of an attorney to move forward. Phone calls and emails are easy to ignore. Try visiting the office and talking with someone.

As I said in my first post, I have tried numerous times. I will go elsewhere for help.

Everyone receiving social security at age 65 (in some cases age 62 by claimant's election), social security disability income becomes simply a social security transfer payment.

Insurance companies can easily ascertain if a person was a disability recipient before become an age related recipient.

Furthermore, if a person is above age 60 (or so), most forms of insurance ESPECIALLY disability related insurances become expensive or impossible to obtain.

Employers generally don't offer most forms of insurance to employees older than age 65 (maybe age 67 as the age increases).

There are benefits and insurance experts who post on this site who might appear to offer more detailed explanations.

Unless this is an employer administered plan, they are not responsible for determining whether or not any one person is eligible to take advantage of a particular benefit in a given set of circumstances. You should have received a plan guide or summary plan description that outlined who was eligible and the conditions under which someone may collect a benefit. Did you read it?

As with any insurance you can't "get back" the premiums you paid even if you never filed a claim or your claim is denied when you do.

Back