Logo usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate180co

I am creating a sports website and I would like to use the team logos. Do I need to obtain a license to use a sports team logo on my website? I am creating a sports website and I would like to use the team logos. There are over 100 NCAA logos and over 100 pro logos. Would I need to obtain a license from each team? I am NOT manufacturing anything to sell (clothing, hats, etc.). I would plan on including the disclaimer on my website that all logos belong to the school and in no way does this website represent the school.

Copyright infringement

You really need to ask whether people that have millions invested in copyrighted material would be indifferent to your unauthorized use of that material?

I suggest before launching into the enterprise that you have a look at the "No Electronic Theft Act of 1997" (NetAct) 17 USC 506 et seq, which makes it a felony to reproduce or distribute copies of copyrighted works electronically regardless of whether the defendant had a profit motive? With or sans disclaimers.

The maximum punishment is only five years imprisonment and a fine of $250,000.

Thanks for the reply. First of all, I'm not an attorney. Second, i'm doing this with 4 others and none of us know this question so obviously it seems like a legit question. So, yes, we "really need to ask whether people that have millions...". Lastly, I have heard if the information is for informational use only (i.e. press releases) then you don't need to get a license. Anyone can do a search on a team and the logo will come up on thousands of websites. Wikipedia is one just as an example. Does that mean these websites (allegedly) obtained a license?

Thanks for the reply. First of all, I'm not an attorney. Second, i'm doing this with 4 others and none of us know this question so obviously it seems like a legit question. So, yes, we "really need to ask whether people that have millions...". Lastly, I have heard if the information is for informational use only (i.e. press releases) then you don't need to get a license. Anyone can do a search on a team and the logo will come up on thousands of websites. Wikipedia is one just as an example. Does that mean these websites (allegedly) obtained a license?

You want to know how "thousands of web sites" may have skirted copyright laws and/or obtained licenses to display copyrighted material?

I tell you what. You take the first one thousand. I'll grab a cup of coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back