Lodger with a big problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

elizabethat

I have been a lodger (renting a room from the homeowner, who has one additional lodger) for several months in Southern California. We do not have a written lease. I came back east for Xmas, where I promptly became very ill. I have not been able or allowed to travel as my condition may be life-threatening; doctors are working toward a proper diagnosis and treatment. Over the months, I have paid $2100 in rent for a room 3000 miles away. I have given my landlady 30 days written notice (Feb. 28) and paid the rent in full for the month of March.

My problem is that the landlady is very rigid and difficult. I have a brother and a best friend arriving from the East on Sat. March 12 to pack up my belongings and put them in storage. She is objecting to having "strangers" stay in my room while they complete this compassionate task for me. I have no money left at all and am dependent on the kindness of my family and friends. I need my guests to stay in my paid-for room, as I have no money for a hotel. I have searched the CA landlord/tenant codes and cannot find anything that relates to a situation such as this. Do I have any rights?

Awaiting advice... soon, please!
Elizabeth

elizabethat said:
I have been a lodger (renting a room from the homeowner, who has one additional lodger) for several months in Southern California. We do not have a written lease. I came back east for Xmas, where I promptly became very ill. I have not been able or allowed to travel as my condition may be life-threatening; doctors are working toward a proper diagnosis and treatment. Over the months, I have paid $2100 in rent for a room 3000 miles away. I have given my landlady 30 days written notice (Feb. 28) and paid the rent in full for the month of March.

My problem is that the landlady is very rigid and difficult. I have a brother and a best friend arriving from the East on Sat. March 12 to pack up my belongings and put them in storage. She is objecting to having "strangers" stay in my room while they complete this compassionate task for me. I have no money left at all and am dependent on the kindness of my family and friends. I need my guests to stay in my paid-for room, as I have no money for a hotel. I have searched the CA landlord/tenant codes and cannot find anything that relates to a situation such as this. Do I have any rights?

Below is a site that has information regarding lodgers. Unless there is something in writing that states that you cannot have a friend or relative over as a temporary guest, I cannot imagine that she has a leg to stand on. In addition, what is she going to do? Take you to court? This is doubtful and the situation would be remedied long before she'd ever be able to get it to court. Additionally, look at your lease agreement to see if there are any terms that relate to these conditions. Still, it is highly doubtful that the landlady can take any practical action, at least from what I can see. Lodgers can be removed sooner rather than later but we are already towards the end of the lease...

In addition, I'm not sure whether you might fall under the category as a tenant with a month to month lease. She may have a problem dealing with this issue as well.

California Department of Consumer Affairs Landlord Tenant Division

Get better. Feel better. We hope you get a favorable diagnosis and feel better soon :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back