Lodger Involves Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAnG1Oo4

Two years ago, my boyfriend's mother hired a man to do some construction work in her home. There is a huge garage in the backyard, with a fairly large attic and she allowed the man to store his personal belongings there. He soon began staying in the attic, and eventually made himself at home there. My boyfriend's mother did not agree with this, but was fighting an illness at the time. When she passed away in November '03 my boyfriend inheritated the house. He didn't want the man living in the attic, but he refused to leave. We did not get any money from him, nor did we make any arrangement. He has many of his personal belongings in the backyard, and has since moved out unwillingly. Now, he just calls, usually in the late evening and thinks he can just show up and be allowed on our property to get a few of his belongings here and there. We have told him to make arrangments with us and to set a date and time to do this, not just show up whenever it is convenient for him. He has brought the police to our home twice, and we have let him get his things. We have no problem giving him his things, but does he have the right to come in any time he wants? Can I charge him for storage? We want him out of our lives and don't feel he has the priveliges of a legal tenant, let alone a lodger.

I don't see why you don't send him written notice, certified return receipt requested, that he has three weeks to pick up his belongings or else you will be forced to dispose of them as you see fit and that he will be responsible for any and all fees and expenses involved in the disposal. I do not see any rights he has as a lodger because he is no longer a lodger. He doesn't live there. He doesn't pay rent. He has just left property in your house.

bAnG1Oo4 said:
Two years ago, my boyfriend's mother hired a man to do some construction work in her home. There is a huge garage in the backyard, with a fairly large attic and she allowed the man to store his personal belongings there. He soon began staying in the attic, and eventually made himself at home there. My boyfriend's mother did not agree with this, but was fighting an illness at the time. When she passed away in November '03 my boyfriend inheritated the house. He didn't want the man living in the attic, but he refused to leave. We did not get any money from him, nor did we make any arrangement. He has many of his personal belongings in the backyard, and has since moved out unwillingly. Now, he just calls, usually in the late evening and thinks he can just show up and be allowed on our property to get a few of his belongings here and there. We have told him to make arrangments with us and to set a date and time to do this, not just show up whenever it is convenient for him. He has brought the police to our home twice, and we have let him get his things. We have no problem giving him his things, but does he have the right to come in any time he wants? Can I charge him for storage? We want him out of our lives and don't feel he has the priveliges of a legal tenant, let alone a lodger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back