Consumer Law, Warranties Locked Out Of Storage Shed Before Payment Was Due

Status
Not open for further replies.

dharvell

I just moved to an apartment three weeks ago. Since the apartment does not have the space required to keep everything we have amassed over the years, we decided to store the unnecessary items in dry storage.

While taking care of the formalities with the storage owner, I asked if they accepted debit card. They did not, but said that they could bill us, for the first month. I agreed.

I received the bill, saying that we owed x-amount, due September 19, 2009. I sent a check for the remainder of last month, as well as all of this month this past Thursday (September 3, 2009).

Today - September 11, 2009 - we went to the storage to get some of my photography equipment, so we would be prepared for a wedding that I have to shoot, tomorrow. We arrived at storage to find that the shed has been "double locked" since they have not received payment.

After arguing that they stated that payment was due on September 19 and today is only the 11th (the check has already been received, according to the manager of the storage company), they said that I should read the contract. The contract states that they can lock me out of my storage shed, IF PAYMENT IS LATE.

Even after they said that they received my check, they said that they still will not unlock the storage room. Their excuse is that the check has not cleared. Does it matter, since it is BEFORE THE DUE DATE?

Bottom line, they will end up costing me some money, as I now have to rent some equipment, so I can shoot tomorrow's wedding. Does it sound like I have a case? Or is this a case where I am screwed and I should just live with it?

Thanks for reading and for your input.

So... payment is due on the 19th - in other words, not yet. And they've locked you out of the storage locker in advance nonetheless.

Sounds like a clear breach of contract to me. Tell them they can either let you into your storage locker in accordance with your contract or you'll sue.

It'll probably end up costing you money even if you sue - you might win, but it'll be a small claims matter and you'll be unlikely to get your court costs back.

Thank you, dee_dub, for the reply. Thanks for helping me understand my rights in this! And the costs... =]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back