Locked out by salon owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

studiolucas

Hi,
I was recently renting a station in a salon in Atlanta,GA on a weekly basis with a lease agreement.
Due to several unexpected issues I fell 2 weeks behind on my rent.

Without any sort of notice or attempt to contact me the owner changed the locks and took all of my property to his home. He refuses to return it until I pay him for the two weeks I was behind plus 2weeks i recieved free in the beginning, and 4 weeks after he changed the locks since I did'nt give him notice. What can I do?

Since he removed my property from the salon and took it to his residence, shouldn't that be theft by taking? He has all of my tools, my client records, my portable hard drive for work, appointment book and everything I need to earn a living, thus preventing me from being able to earn an income and doing irrepairable damage to my business.

Last edited:
Theft by Taking??

Hi,
I was recently renting a station in a salon in Atlanta,GA on a weekly basis with a lease agreement.

Without any sort of notice or attempt to contact me the owner changed the locks and took all of my property to his home. He refuses to return it until I pay him for the two weeks I was behind plus 2weeks i recieved free in the beginning, and 4 weeks after he changed the locks since I didn't give him notice. What can I do?

Since he removed my property from the salon and took it to his residence, shouldn't that be theft by taking? He has all of my tools, my client records, my portable hard drive for work, appointment book and everything I need to earn a living, thus preventing me from being able to earn an income and doing irrepairable damage to my business.

Hi,

Without any sort of notice or attempt to contact me the owner changed the locks and took all of my property to his home. He refuses to return it until I pay him for the two weeks I was behind plus 2weeks i recieved free in the beginning, and 4 weeks after he changed the locks since I didn't give him notice. What can I do?

Doe I grounds for damages suit??

Hi,

Commercial leases are very different than residental leases; they tend to side much stronger with the landlord. Therefore, things such as changing locks without a court order to do so do not incur the same penalties for the landlord in a commercial lease as they would in a residential lease.

Details on the differences between the two types of leases are outlined in the attached (which comes from California, a state that tends to be very tenant friendly):

http://www.tenantslegalcenter.com/html/commercial_landlord_tenant_law_.html

Did your lease specify what could happen should you fall back on your rent payments?

Gail

Hi,

Duplicate post. Please remove this thread.

Hi,

Duplicate post. Delete this thread.

Hi,

Duplicate. Delete this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back