Loan Officer Negligence

limelight

Hi, this is my situation: I was trying to do a 30 year fixed refinance for a rental property and submitted an application with a loan officer. After spending more than a month going through the process, I was told by the loan officer that the loan was declined because he submitted the application for a conventional loan and did not realize that the occupancy rate of the building was around 30% (way below the 50% required by Fannie and Freddie). He further stated that he looked at a website owned by a realtor for reference on the occupancy rate and it stated 51% and thought it was fine. He never called the management company to verify despite the 51% being on the cusp of the requirement threshold. Meanwhile I paid about $700 for an appraisal and other fees for condo documentation.

The loan officer offered to remedy the situation and source a portfolio loan that have no limit on occupancy rate. Given the time I already sunk on this, I agreed thinking it would result in a quicker turnaround. Another month goes by and he tells me that the other option he was trying did not work. Then tells me that he can get me a 25 year loan, which I cannot accept. I finally decided to pursue other options. In two days I found another loan officer that can provide the loan that I initially set out to get. While I was able to transfer the condo docs to the new lender, I needed a new appraisal because the first appraiser is not on the approved list of this new lender. I requested the first loan officer to reimburse me for the $700 spent on the appraisal but he refused.

While I understand that appraisal and credit report fees are typically not reimbursed for a declined loan, I believe I am entitled to a reimbursement because the loan officer was negligent and submitted an application that had no chance of being approved. I am only request for the $700 I paid out of pocket.

Am I entitled to a reimbursement? What are my legal recourse?

Thank you in advance for your professional opinion!

Your legal recourse is to sue.
Don't expect to prevail, but you do have the right to file a lawsuit.
Good luck.

You can "try" suing. You might or might not win. If you can prove you are out the $700.00 (have damages) due to the loan officer's negligence, I guess it's possible you "might" prevail.

You can hold & see if you get other replies.

Back