LLC address amendment?

Dean Martinez

Jurisdiction
New York
Hello,

I manufacture and sell a hot sauce online and in several markets. My sauce is made in a commercial kitchen in Brooklyn but my business license is registered using my home address in Queens.

When I formed an LLC thru LegalZoom, I used the Brooklyn address because that is where I manufacture my sauce. When I contacted the Kings county court in Brooklyn with my filing receipt asking for newspaper designations to publish my LLC, they sent me a note saying that my business is currently listed under KINGS county and to contact the Dept of State to issue a new FILING RECEIPT under QUEENS county.

My question is does my LLC need to use my home address in Queens? or the manufacturing address in Brooklyn? I was under the assumption that the LLC address should be the actual place that my sauce is manufactured, in Brooklyn.

Thanks for any advice that can be sent my way,

The Articles of Organization that you file with the state asks for:

The county within this state in which the office of the limited liability company is to be located.

And for:

The address within or without this state to which the Secretary of State shall mail a copy of any process against the limited liability company

And for:

Filer's Name and Mailing Address

https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/corporations/1336-f.pdf

If all of your company's administration is handled out of your home, then all three of those should be your home address.

Especially since your business license shows your home address.

My guess is that you confused the bureaucrat by having one address on your license and another address on your LLC.

By the way, do you have Products Liability Insurance?

The Articles of Organization that you file with the state asks for:

And for:

And for:

https://www.dos.ny.gov/forms/corporations/1336-f.pdf

If all of your company's administration is handled out of your home, then all three of those should be your home address.

Especially since your business license shows your home address.

My guess is that you confused the bureaucrat by having one address on your license and another address on your LLC.

By the way, do you have Products Liability Insurance?

Thanks so much for your answer, really helps a lot. I will file Certificate of Change form with the State Dept to correct my address.
Yes, I have insurance thru FLIP Food Liability Insurance Program.
I believe they cover products liability as well, but I will need to make sure on that.

I believe they cover products liability as well, but I will need to make sure on that.

They do, according to the website.

But check your policy anyway. Make sure you are familiar with the various exclusions and limitations (every policy has some) and if you have any questions about coverage you can upload a copy of any part you want to ask about.

Also do an inventory of your equipment and stock in case the $10k coverage is a bit light.

Back