Living with my Mexican girlfriend

Kendoka

Jurisdiction
Arizona
Me and my girlfriend (a Mexican citizen with a border crossing card) are thinking about living together in my home in the US. She has a well paying job in Mexico and is not interested in working in the US or becoming a US citizen. She would be crossing every week day for work in Mexico. So she would never be staying in the US for more than 3 days continuously.

Can she spend most nights and weekends with me in the US with just the BCC? Or for 6 months the BCC and form I-94?

If not what could we do, other than getting married? We're not quite ready for that. And what would be the tax implications for her?

If not what could we do, other than getting married?

Don't get immigration advice from anonymous people via the internet.

Do seek immigration advice from an immigration attorney you hire & trust, or from those who enforce immigration laws in the USA:

www.uscis.gov

As long as you are within 75 feet of the border, she can visit you using the card. She can not take up residence here with just the card. Your guess is as good as mine in this political climate as to at what point she may be deemed to be residing and not visiting. By the terms of the card, she can't stay more than 30 days at a time. Maintaining a residence and holding a job in Mexico are a necessity. Does she have an I-94?

Potential longevity of the relationship not withstanding, there are many couples who navigate such arrangements. Two of my former employers operated in the border zone; one of both sides, one on the Mexican side. While a pain in the neck at times, there are many who cross the border daily. Hence, the cards.

I'm not sure what tax implications she thinks there might be. There is no tax owed in the US for visitors, other than sales tax on items purchased. If she spends substantial time in the US, she might have to file though her income should be exempt Conditions for a Closer Connection to a Foreign Country | Internal Revenue Service. It would be best to speak with a tax advisor. In the border zone, finding one familiar with these circumstances is not difficult.

Back