Listed occupant only

Jurisdiction
Georgia
Hi my name is Whitney I moved into a three-bedroom apartment with a girl I met under the agreement that we would move in with our two dogs and my mother would also live in the third bedroom, a person which is not on the lease but she agreed to let move in without adding on the lease as an occupant.

I'm listed as an occupant only nothing is in writing as far as what we were going to pay.

After 30 days or so after we moved in. we had an argument via text because I did not want her texting my phone with issues to make a phone call to me with issues or do it in person. Well because of this and the fact that she wants to move in with her boyfriend that she was broken up with at the time we moved in together. He just moved back from Los Angeles and she doesn't want to live with me anymore she wants to move back in with him and gave me no notice to vacate. what are my rights and am I responsible for payment and how long do I have before I have to move out she went and filed something I believe in civil court saying that I broke the lease because I added another dog and I have another person living here which is my mother which she agreed upon which is why we chose a third bedroom so what are my rights in the state of Georgia when I signed nothing but I am listed as an occupant?

What on Earth would possess you to post those unredacted photos that give us your and your landlord's full names and addresses?

what are my rights

Trying to create a list of rights would serve no useful purpose.

am I responsible for payment

As long as you occupy the premises, you're responsible for paying rent as agreed.

how long do I have before I have to move out

At least until the conclusion of the eviction lawsuit.

As far as your situation, it sounds like Hanadi is the tenant who has a lease with the landlord and that you are Hanadi's sub-tenant pursuant to a verbal lease that is terminable at will. You are, of course, free to fight the eviction, but it seems like the smarter thing to do would be for you and your mother to move out.

What on Earth would possess you to post those unredacted photos that give us your and your landlord's full names and addresses?

Trying to create a list of rights would serve no useful purpose.

As long as you occupy the premises, you're responsible for paying rent as agreed.

At least until the conclusion of the eviction lawsuit.

As far as your situation, it sounds like Hanadi is the tenant who has a lease with the landlord and that you are Hanadi's sub-tenant pursuant to a verbal lease that is terminable at will. You are, of course, free to fight the eviction, but it seems like the smarter thing to do would be for you and your mother to move out.
I do plan to move out but was emailed a move out letter from hanadi days before rent was due with no notice I had to not give her the money so I can save it for another security deposit and the entire moving process but will I be responsible to pay it in court? What do I need to do with this paper she had taped to the door?

Your excessive use of pronouns makes your post difficult to follow. The person who signed the lease with the landlord is responsible for paying the full amount of rent to the landlord. If the lease specifies only certain occupants may inhabit the dwelling, including pets, that is who may inhabit the dwelling. Add more than that, be it a mother, a bf, or a pet and you have violated the lease. The landlord does not care how the occupants pool their money to pay the lease, just that the total is paid by the date due. If you had some sot of agreement amongst yourselves to split the rent a certain way and you fall through on your agreement, your co-renter(s) can take you to small claims court for the balance owed.

I'm listed as an occupant only nothing is in writing as far as what we were going to pay.

This sentence sealed your fate, insomuch as the other person is concerned.

I suggest you appear in court, in response to the legal papers you were served.

In the interim, hire a lawyer to assist you.

If you can't afford a lawyer, you must endeavor to prepare and prosecute your defense before the judge.

If you do nothing, and fail to appear, the other party will receive a default judgment against you.
That means he or she will get whatever they are seeking.
You'll get the shaft.

Nothing else matters now, except YOU preparing a defense so that YOU don't get SHAFTED.

FOCUS, grasshopper, focus.

I do plan to move out but was emailed a move out letter from hanadi days before rent was due with no notice I had to not give her the money so I can save it for another security deposit and the entire moving process but will I be responsible to pay it in court? What do I need to do with this paper she had taped to the door?

Again, simple.

If you are formally evicted, you'll soon discover your inability to rent decent housing for decades.

Your FICO will also be devastated by any civil court judgment.

You must act today, to avoid a personal disaster....

I had to not give her the money so I can save it for another security deposit and the entire moving process but will I be responsible to pay it in court?

If you're asking if you're going to have to hand her money in the courtroom, the answer is no. However, you could end up with a judgment against you, which can be enforced in a number of rather unpleasant ways.

What do I need to do with this paper she had taped to the door?

I'm not familiar with Georgia procedural rules relating to eviction cases, but you probably need to file a written response or risk having the matter proceed by default.

Back