Limits of new job application background check

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivingmecrazy

I am in the process of applying for a new job in New York City and wanted to know whether there are any limits to background checks that can be conducted. I have never been convicted of a crime and am generally a law abiding person. I was arrested a few years ago being in the wrong place at the wrong time near a bar fight. The prosecutor dropped charges against me but I'm worried that the arrest might show up on a background check. I also enjoyed a little smoke every once in a while if you know what I mean, but I am not a habitual smoker. Can the employer require me to take a drug test before employing me? It's just a desk job and not a driving job that you might expect safety issues and requirements.

The potential employer can't force you to take a drug test.
However, refusing to submit to the test will likely bar you from further consideration.

Background checks can strip your past life naked, my friend.
All you can do is answer all questions honestly.
Most employers will ask about convictions, not arrests.
You'll have to proceed with the application process to know for sure.

We don't know what might show up on a background check. It depends on the type & how thorough of a background check the employer does. You need to answer all questions on the employment application truthfully - read the questions carefully. They can request a drug test & as noted above if you refuse, you most likely will not be considered further.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back