Lien on house

RyanMMichigan

Jurisdiction
Michigan
I had a flood in my basement. I called a company out to remove the water. They came out and I dropped the pump in the basement. I used the pump for about 5 hours. The next morning they called and asked how everything was. I informed them water was completely out over night.

They had to come get there pump. They called and said it wasn't top priority so they will get it when they could. Took about 5 days for them to come back.

I got a bill gor 915$. I posted on facebook that it seemed really high for a small pump. I didnt name the company, didnt bad mouth them. Someone asked who did it so I told them. The owner saw the post somehow and called and went off on me. Told me to delete it right then or he would charge me full price.

He said he didnt know I had insurance so thst is why he gave me a discounted rate at first. Even know the contract a signed even had my insurance companies name on there.

So they sent me a new bill at this time for $6000. They said now I had it in use for 5 full days at 24hrs a day. Complete lie on by them.

Now the put a lien on my house for over $6000. Really need advice as what to do here. Just a week ago I got a bill for the $900. Then today I get the one saying $6000 and lien on the house. Plus intrest because I havent paid yet. Insurance check just cleared the bank last week.

No online legal forum can help you with YOUR unique problem.
I suggest you see a lawyer.
You can also contact the agency in your state that licenses contractors.
If what you say is true, the contractor may be abusing the lien process.
The state agency will decide.
I believe in MI its called "LARA":
LARA - Builders, Residential

As army judge said, this is complicated. You are probably best served hiring an attorney, but that can be expensive. If you're seeking the self-help way, you may be best served saying as little as possible to solve your problem.

First, what was the deal you made with them regarding cost? If it was $600 for use of the pump, then you may want to send them a certified letter, return receipt requested, giving them a reason to be scared about this fraudulent lien. You can write to them, making copies of both bills, explaining the retaliatory nature of what happened, including their plan to bilk the insurance company. You can demand that unless they remove the lien immediately, you will take action against them and report their conduct to the state licensing agency and the BBB unless they remove the entire lien within 10 days.

I must remind you that what army judge says is true. Self-help by a non-attorney always involves some potential risk of making problems worse or difficult to solve. What I have provided is a general, sensible way to potentially help yourself, based upon the limited facts provided. It is not a substitute for proper legal advice from a legal consultation with a licensed attorney.

Back