License suspension due to judgement against me for traffic accident without financial responsibility

Sandra Burger

Jurisdiction
California
Judgement was entered in 2017 for unpaid claim by other party's insurance company. Accident happened in 2015. My license was suspended after DMV received the judgement. I don't have the means to pay the debt. The woman in front of me on the freeway slammed on her breaks and I rear ended her. She slammed on her breaks because the woman in front of her slammed on her breaks because she claimed that the person in front of her had smoking breaks or rear tires. The vehicle I was driving did not belong to me and was not insured at the time. I'd like to know how long my license can be suspended if the judgement goes unpaid, or what I can do to get my driving privileges reinstated. I live on my Social Security benefits as my only source of income, but do have medical appointments, etc. that I have to drive to.

Judgement was entered in 2017 for unpaid claim by other party's insurance company. Accident happened in 2015. My license was suspended after DMV received the judgement.

If your judgment is for an automobile accident on a California highway and the Judgment Debtor fails to pay, you can ask the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) to suspend their California driver license.

Steps to take:
To get the state to suspend the Judgment Debtor's driver license, take the following steps:

Get the proper form at your local DMV office or online.
* If your judgment is for $1,000 or less ($750 or less for accidents prior to January 1, 2017), you need form DL 17 titled: Notice of Unsatisfied Judgment of $1,000 or less

* If your judgment is for more than $1,000 ($750 or more for accidents prior to January 1, 2017), you need form DL 30 titled: Certificate of Facts Re: Unsatisfied Judgment

Fill out the form, take it to the Small Claims Clerk's Office and have them certify the form.
Request a certified copy of the Notice of Entry of Judgment from the clerk. Pay the fee.
Mail the completed DMV form and the Notice of Entry of Judgment form to:
Department of Motor Vehicles
ATTN: Civil Judgment, Mail Station J237
P.O. Box 942884
Sacramento, CA 94284-0884

Include a check or money order for the filing fee. (The fee amount is listed on the DMV form.)

If your judgment is $1,000 or less and has remained unpaid for 90 days after the judgment became final, the DMV can suspend the license up to 90 days. This only applies to the actual driver of the vehicle and not the registered owner.

If the judgment is more than $1,000 and has remained unpaid, you must wait 30 days after the judgment became final. The DMV can suspend the license of both the driver and registered owner for up to six years. Some exceptions may apply. Speak to a California licensed attorney for details.

I'm the Judgment Debtor.

How do I get my license back?
Pay the judgment in full. Get a certified copy of the Satisfaction of Judgment from the court and mail the copy to the DMV.

Have the Judge grant you court-ordered installment payments. The debtor must submit a reissue fee, a certified copy of the installment order along with a form, SR-22, filled by the insurance company stating that automobile liability insurance is in effect for the debtor.

You must pay a fee to DMV and provide proof of insurance to have your license reissued. The Notice of Suspension you receive should list this fee.

Court forms are available at California Courts – Forms. Select "Small Claims" from the pull down menu. Forms are also available at the Court Clerk's office.

Suspending a Driver License to Force Payment – Consumer & Business

Back