lic. susp. until i reimburse the other drivers ins. company, but it's wrong amount

askingrita

Jurisdiction
Washington
in january 2015 i got into an accident. i was uninsured. The vehicle i was driving was not registered to me. And at the time i was homeless...and awhile after the accident the registered owner told me that they got a letter saying they had to pay $1003.00 to the national general insurance or their license would be suspended. then they told me that they had instead payed the other drivers deductible of $300 so their license would not get suspended. so i thought that it was taken care of. until almost two years later when i got pulled over for not wearing my seatbelt, and was informed by the cop that my license was suspended. and to get it back i had to pay the $1003. i contacted national general and they told me the other driver brought in an estimate for that amount, and that they had cut him a check for only $753.49. because the driver's deductible was $250. they turned the amount of $1003 to thomas george and associates (a collection agency) but they only paid $759.43. and now my license is suspended. and they don't even know wether or not the car was ever repaired. in washington state any auto accident $1000+ your license gets suspended. what can i do?

The damage was over $1000, just barely, so it seems the license suspension is appropriate if that is the law as you say.

It does not matter if the car was ever repaired, what matters is that the money was paid.

If you are able to make payments toward what you owe you could likely negotiate a lesser amount ($750) but you would need to make s meaningful monthly payment. $20 per month won't get much cooperation.

Call the creditor who owns the debt and see what you can negotiate. Get any agreement in writing.

They don't car about the details of the accident. They just want the money.

Back