Libel by email

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even if I buy into the "woke" grammar, "they" and "them" are plural pronouns, so your attempted point only renders the original post more ambiguous than I previously thought.
Oh, zippy... Grammar is useful:
(ETA: Note - this comes from dictionary.com, but you will find the same usage in the Cambridge dictionary and most others.)
they
[ they ]
See synonyms for: they / theirs / them on Thesaurus.com
pronoun, possessive their or theirs,objective them.
nominative plural of he, she, and it1:He needed a ride, and she had her car, so they left together.
people in general:They say he's rich.
nominative singular pronoun:
  1. (used to refer to a generic or unspecified person previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context):Whoever is of voting age, whether they are interested in politics or not, should vote.A person may enlist only if they are over 18.
  2. (used to refer to a specific or known person previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context):The victim refused to testify at the trial because they feared for their life.My best friend from high school is famous now—too bad we didn't stay in touch after they moved to California.
  3. (used to refer to a nonbinary or gender-nonconforming person previously mentioned, about to be mentioned, or present in the immediate context):Quinn is waiting for summer vacation to adopt a puppy, so they will have more time to get their new family member properly settled.

In some European and Middle Eastern countries, it is customary to point with your middle finger.

However, this gesture could be considered as offensive in most Western nations, while being considered impolite in many other countries.

How should you respond if someone displays their middle finger to you?

One might smile, show them a peace sign and say, "I wish you all the best".

Lastly, what about the world famous "thumbs up" gesture?

The "thumbs up" gesture is a sign of approval in most countries.

However, in several countries in West Africa and the Middle East, including Iran, Iraq, and Afghanistan; the gesture has the connotation of "up yours", pal!!!

It is used the same way the middle finger "salute" is flashed the USA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back