Liability Waiver for General Contractor

S

Snoopy329

Jurisdiction
North Dakota
I performed renovation work for someone in a small town we live in. All contracts around here are done verbally. My questions is: Can a place a mechanics lien on this person's property even though I only had a verbal contract and not a written contract. I have many proofs of the work I did.

Thanks

I performed renovation work for someone in a small town we live in. All contracts around here are done verbally. My questions is: Can a place a mechanics lien on this person's property even though I only had a verbal contract and not a written contract. I have many proofs of the work I did.

Thanks

Contractor's lien requirements in ND:

North Dakota Century Code

Mechanics lien in ND:

North Dakota Mechanics Lien Law Resources - Private Projects

You need to first determine if its a mechanics lien or a contractors lien.

There is a difference.

Generally, filing a lien can keep the claim alive, but won't get you your money.

You might look into small claims court in ND:

Legal Services of North Dakota » Complete Topic List

Small Claims Court Forms

The processes might make you feel better, but generally won't do much more for you but make you feel better and keep hope alive.

Thank you. The links you provided answered my question. When I click on the ND Mechanics Lien link, it just takes me to a blank page that says "repealed". I don't know what that means. At Zlien, they told me that a mechanics lien and contractors lien are the same thing. On Wikipedia, it says the states the same. You stated there is a difference but, I couldn't find one. Anyways... Thanks!

I have a homeowner who is on a very tight budget

She wants me to do a remodeling project for her but she wants me to do the plumbing and electrical work myself. She does not want me to hire sub-contractors since she states shes had bad experiences with sub-contractors. I am more than capable of doing the plumbing and electrical work but, I am not licensed in those two respective areas. I live in small town that does not have any inspectors of any kind, if that helps.

What I want to accomplish is to protect myself against any claims of property and personal damage since I can't foretell the future (even though I can guarantee my work) and I do not know this homeowners mind.

Thanks

I was wondering if I, as a General Contractor, can have a homeowner sign a liability waiver, if that is indeed the correct document name.

If you want to avoid a hassle and ensure you get paid, you don't work for quarrelsome deadbeats.

Walk away from this deal.
If you think she won't pay, she won't.

A liability waiver is often not worth the paper it's printed on when it gets into court as you cannot be absolved of your own negligence.

However, it might convince an ignorant homeowner that it's binding on her.

Still, you run the risk that friends and relatives may one day disabuse her of that notion. Up to you.

The original post disappeared. OP wasn't concerned with payment he was concerned about his liability from doing work for which he wasn't licensed that the homeowner insisted he do because she didn't want him to hire sub-contractors.

Also a good reason to walk away from the deal.

PS: This isn't the first time a piece of a thread has disappeared recently.

The original post disappeared. OP wasn't concerned with payment he was concerned about his liability from doing work for which he wasn't licensed that the homeowner insisted he do because she didn't want him to hire sub-contractors.

Also a good reason to walk away from the deal.

PS: This isn't the first time a piece of a thread has disappeared recently.

Yeah I don't know how my post from a different thread got posted and merged on this thread. Something similar happened on the other post where It appeared as if I had replied and quoted someone but, I never did. This post was about a liability waiver and this is my only reply yet I see a reply from "me" up there. ??? There must be a bug in the system, no pun intended.

Anyways... Thanks for the replies. I may walk away from this project.

Back