Criminal Law lewd conduct

Status
Not open for further replies.

rosewd

Hi. I don't know where to start. Myself briefly. age: late 20's / male / an international student (f-1 visa) / living in Ca.

Last midnight, I picked up a prostitute and insisted just BJ. I drove around and parked in apartment parking garage (No gate) It was quiet and I thought it was safer, but wrong. Minutes later, 3 undercover cops popped out and arrested both of us at scene. Probably a tenant called the cop or we were caught on a security camera. I am not sure. Anyway this was my first arrest. I've never been arrested or convicted before. They searched inside my car to find drugs or something. I wasn't intoxicated or possessing drugs. I didn't harm her physically either. She wasn't even naked. (I was half-naked) She isn't a minor (19yrs. police checked her ID and later verified it at the station.) One of the officers told me that we were arrested for "lewd conduct." At a station, I was fingerprinted and they took a mug shot. They say I am a sex offender. omg, Joking right? My face will be posted on the web. I don't get it. Sex offender registration program.. Megan's law...and so on. (later I researched about it.) I don't think those things belong to me. I want to believe that the officer was scaring me or assuming... After an hour I was released. They didn't ask me any bail so I paid nothing. (Is this normal?) All I got was a citation saying "VIOLATION 647 (a) PC (Lewd Conduct)." I need to appear in court next month.

please enlighten me...
thx

There have been reports lately that police departments start putting the mug shots of "johns" on the net. I think Chicago started this.

Not every time someone is arrested they have to pay bail to get out. In minor cases pepple can be given "desk appearance tickets", telling you to show up in court on a certain date. That is probably what happened to you.

As to the immigration consequences, you should read the thread "solicitation" in this sub-forum "immigration" where we have discussed exactly your case before.

update: just met a lawyer yesterday and he said my case is not serious, only misdemeanor and if i am lucky enough, my charge will be dismissed or i will be on probation with fine. Also if the girl was an undercover, i am seriously F..ed up and i will be charge for solicitation of prostitution.(also he added that the area whre i was arrested is well known for #1 target for sting operations in the city. most 80% of arrests happen there. duh. :p)

also. sex offender thing is totally BS. The lawyer said, its a lie. I could file a lawsuit against the department for false accusation or something.

I dont get it - How can he be a sex offender if he just had sex with a hooker who was of legal age? I though registered sex offenders are child molestors, rapists, that sort of crime. If his crime is a simple misdemeanor, can he still be a sex offender?

Also, is his crime different then mine? I was arrested for "Solicitaion of prostiution" and there was no actual lude conduct involved because the hooker was really a cop (as you already know my story), so does him actually engaging in the act make his case worse then mine?

alex8111 said:
I dont get it - How can he be a sex offender if he just had sex with a hooker who was of legal age? I though registered sex offenders are child molestors, rapists, that sort of crime. If his crime is a simple misdemeanor, can he still be a sex offender?

Also, is his crime different then mine? I was arrested for "Solicitaion of prostiution" and there was no actual lude conduct involved because the hooker was really a cop (as you already know my story), so does him actually engaging in the act make his case worse then mine?
No, of course I am not a sex offender as you said. Probably the dumb cop forgot the hooker's age or tried to scare me. I got freaked out when I was arrested that night. I may take it seriously. you know, cop say whatever they want. ok not important right now.

I read your story. Speaking of "solicitation of prostitution", my lawyer said its worse than lewd conduct. (but isn't SOP a part of lewd conduct ??) I have no idea why that it. I am just depending on my attorney.

well to me both are the same the only reason why i would think your case might be a little more punishable then mine is the fact that yours is both. Solicitation and lewd conduct. I never did anything. My only crime was the words that i said...I never took any action. No girl was in my car and my pants were on me :). I simply said the wrong things to a cop. They arrested me based on what came out of my mouth (isnt that a joke? - Never knew that what you say can get you arrested. For all they knew, i could have been on a mission to joke arround with hookers. So upsetting. Makes me doubt the law sometimes).

Regardless, being arrested for picking up a girl who is of legal age (and consenting) is nonsense to me...The laws really need to be changed. Prostitution is a war that cops will never win. Sex has more power then they do.

You might be right. I know how u feel. I was doing it, but u weren't. u didn't do anything sexually. think about this way, what if she wasn't a cop? what if she was 16?? you would pay money and do it. Now you say, 'no way'. but they dont listen to you.. if you believe your innocent and it was a mistake, why did u pick her up then?? just ignore and drive away! or dont be caught! Anyway we can't conclude which case is more punishable. Whatever that is, the charge was based on the cop's judgement.

I feel that unless they actually catch you on the act, then they dont have a reason to arrest. They shouldnt arrest me just for thinking about it. I could have very well backed down from it and no crime would have been commited.

hey alex, i got a question.(i tried to private message you, but this forum wont allow it) how much did u pay (before & after trial)? my lawyer isn't cheap. should i look for another attorney? my financial situation is not that good now.. you can email me at snam74@hotmail.com. thx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back