Lengthy Refi Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adverse

I have debated posting this because it would be lengthy, but decided to in order to help others.

My wife and I are young retirees with seasonal retiree jobs in a major vacation area. We have substantial fixed-income assets, lots of personal assets paid for, and had credit scores of 760 and 780.

Last Spring we decided to refi a lake lot we own to build a new house on, to take advantage of the lower interest rates. The loan we wanted to refi is the only loan we had on anything.

Memorial Day, 2009, I applied to Lendingtree.com and another similar on-line broker/lender referral service. Nine brokers/lenders contacted me, I compared offers, and selected a broker from our own state.

From the beginning I was assured that the refi would be a breeze, that our credit and finances were in order, and there would be no problems. However, the person making that promise suddenly disappeared, never reappeared, and as it played out another broker told me he actually worked for them, not the other broker.

Another person took over at Broker #1 and asked that I send all the same stuff over again. I did . . . altogether more than 150 pages of detailed personal financial information, tax returns, etc. Guy #2 at Broker #1 said the same thing, we would have no problem, and he sorta manufactured our income figures the way he wanted, and told us to sign off to them. I recorded my objection, and completed the financial part of our app, via email.

Caution # 1: Put everything in writing. If you discuss something by phone, send email saying something like, This is to confirm the phone conversation we just had . . .

Next, he offered several lenders' proposals and we selected one of the large national ones the got a bunch of bailout money.

Caution #2: Since we were doing a home loan, rather than refi on the lake lot, we agreed to an appraisal. We were told under the new home lending rules and regulations, the lender has to order it and the consumer has to pay for it. As we discoved later, that is not true, the consumer does not have to pay for the appraisal.

The result in a nutshell, the lender denied our application, but did not stop the appraisal, which took place later in the day our app was denied. One of their subsidiaries benefitted from the appraisal. We had to pay $370 for it, wasted 45 days, and sent 150 pages of sensitive personal information to complete strangers on the Internet.

The lender had somehow received incorrect information, but would not pursue correcting it with me, and the broker dropped all communication.

I disputed the credit card charges for the appraisal and was denied, because one of the 150 pages I was forced to submit was my authorization for it.

I filed a complaint with our State's AG and Division of Finance, that complaint being turned over to the Comptroller of the Currency. That forced a discussion between myself and the lender. That discussion was with the Office of the President of the lender. After a few back-and-forths, the last letter from the lender said the broker had decided to refund the appraisal fee.

But that is not all the story.

Caution #3: Don't be misled by the claims of Internet lenders. After being denied, I applied to redo the lot loan with our local bank. They did, it took less than 1 hour total time with them, and less than a dozen pages of info from us. The did another appraisal, which they paid for.

Caution #4: The first appraisal placed the market value of our house at $225K and the building cost at $256K, but the second appraisal had the market value at $175K and the building cost at $1867K. These were done less than 30 days apart

Caution #5: Our credit scores when the local bank pulled them had dropped from 780 to 725 and 760 to 715, both with the notation of too mention recent inquiries. My two Internet applications led to nine inquiries, so my effort to improve our finances, which I did, actually lowered our credit socres.

Caution #6: All three credit agencies were very uncooperative in providing the credit reports we are entitled to. I had to ask all of them three times, providing exactly the identification they requested time. One of them did not provide it, just replying with a form letter to each request.

Caution #7: The two reports I did get show all nine inquiries generated by our online app to the referral sites.

I did find one incorrect entry in our credit reports, a 30-day late negative comment that never happened, and our bank has since sent their credit agency a correction on that.

This started on Memorial Day this year and today it is Christmas Day. We are still awaiting the refund of the appraisal fee.

Feel free to ask questions.

Happy holidays, and caveat emptor.

Last edited:
Your story and complaints are much of the reason I got out of the Mortgage industry after 15 years of owning a company. When you want a loan the appraisal is YOUR cost not the lenders. Your bank was kind, and no doubt made the loan out of their own funds so it was not a problem to pay for the appraisal for you.

You didn't get screwed, the market is in just that big of an uproar. Your credit score will bounce from one place to another with or without the inquires. I believe one day some enterprising lawyer will sue them in a class action. In the meantime there is no reason to get all wound up over your score going from 780 to 720 or anything of the sort. The two scores are almost identically good. People get overly proud of their score like one is better than another. They really aren't. If you are over 720 your score is excellent. Getting it to 800 is more vanity than anything.

I hope you don't take my comments as smart alack or mean. You just have no reason to act like you were wronged. You weren't, the market is just that screwed up.

Believe me or not it is.

You seem more wound up than me. Maybe it's all the Christmas sugar. :D

If I was wound up I would be ragging about the way a sleazy loan broker jacked me around. But I'm not.

I was just reporting the facts.

But, if you think it is not wrong for a lender to be able to order an appraisal which benefits one of their companies, at the consumer's expense, before they have decided to make a loan, or after they have decided not to, and the consumer has no right to stop the appraisal, then I believe you are wrong.

And I believe the policies, rules and regulations that allow that need to be changed.

Since I already have the attention of the Comptroller of the Currency, I might as well push for that change, unless you feel that would be wrong. ;)

You seem familiar . . . I don't post often but it seems like you have been the first to answer recently. Hmmmmm.

Maybe I'm wrong. :cool:

Its my hobby. It use to be 35 a day until my laptop brokedown. I do most of my work online so I can afford the time.

Good luck on your quest to change the rules. Bunches of them need changing.

Well, I have been going back and forth with the Office of the President of a major lender who took billions in bailout, sorta like the President of the US has been, and they have agreed to give my money back, which they have not promised him, so I am at least ahead of him. ;)

Had I not filed the complaint, they just would have continued to ignore me.

Perhaps it takes a consumer or two stepping up, speaking out, and pointing out what needs to be changed. How else would they know?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back