Lender failed to register me for Mortgage Credit Certificate program

O

Omar J

Jurisdiction
Texas
I bought a house in September, 2016. The lender and I discussed the MCC and how good it would be for me to receive tax credits. Now that I'm filing my taxes, I have learned that the lender never registered me for the program. I will miss out on thousands of dollars in tax credits over the life of the loan since they did not register me.
There are fees involved at closing that amount to about $800 dollars. I did not pay these since it wasn't included in closing like it was supposed to.
1. Is it possible to sign up for the program retroactively?
2. If not, what recourse do I have? ... since it seems the lender was negligent/incompetent regarding registration for the program.

Thanks in advance!

Sorry, no recourse. It wasn't up to the lender to do this for you, it was up to you to make sure you met the qualifications and took the course BEFORE you closed escrow and make sure the fees were in your escrow statement before you signed off on it.

Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

See:

Texas Mortgage Credit Certificate Program

I don't know if you can still do it. You'll need to call the Texas DHCA to find out. There's a phone number listed on that page.

Sorry, no recourse. It wasn't up to the lender to do this for you, it was up to you to make sure you met the qualifications and took the course BEFORE you closed escrow and make sure the fees were in your escrow statement before you signed off on it.

Self preservation is nobody's business but your own.

See:

Texas Mortgage Credit Certificate Program

I don't know if you can still do it. You'll need to call the Texas DHCA to find out. There's a phone number listed on that page.

Well, that stings. I wasn't aware that it was something that was include at escrow until I looked it up recently. It would've been nice to have been given some literature or something else other than a one time mention in passing conversation. But you're right. Nobody's business but my own. Thanks for your response. I do appreciate your time.

Back