legalization of signature on power of attorney

Jurisdiction
Illinois
Hello,

My sister, who is a foreigner living in the States, is under international arrest but can't be arrested right now because she lives in the US and the extradiction process is taking a long time.

My mother passed away last December and unfortunatetly in my country, you can't disherit your children. So my sister is a legal heir. As she does not want to go to the Consulate to have her signature legalized. She is considering using a public notary.
She wants to give a power of attorney to her husband who is American and who would represent her to settle my mother's estate.
What is the power of public notary? Can he/she check my sister's background? I just know that if she goes to the consulate she will be arrested. Her passport is listed on Interpol and she can't come to Europe because she will be arrested.

Thanks for your help

SM

A notary public just attests to the identity of the signer of a document and (in Illinois) administer oaths (again primarily witnessing and identifying the person making such).

A power of attorney is likely not going to mean much outside the US. Rather than her husband it sounds like she needs several REAL attorneys in whatever countries she has such affairs in and is under charges.

What is the power of public notary?

I don't really understand this question. A notary public (not "public notary") can notarize signatures, which has the effect of providing additional evidence of the signature's authenticity. A notary can also administer oaths.

Can he/she check my sister's background?

Anyone can check anyone's background.

How does the notary public verify the signer's identity?

Most commonly with a driver's license or passport.

Back