legality of advertising and classifieds

Status
Not open for further replies.

augsod

I was reading some of the law regarding the NJ Real Estate Comission, and I ran across a passage that made me curious about the legality of such ventures as Craigslist and other classifieds. Do companies that advertise real estate (for sale, rent, lease, sublease, etc) need to have a Broker's License? If the only fee charged is for the advertising space and the person providing the advertising space takes no actions regarding the active seeking out of potential buyers, then is a license of any sort required? I can't imagine every newspaper in the country having a broker on staff just to avoid trouble with the NJREC.

Here is the passage in question:

The NJ Real Estate Comission states (From Title 45 Chapter 15):

A real estate broker, for the purposes of this article, is defined to be a person, firm or corporation who, for a fee, commission or other valuable consideration, or by reason of a promise or reasonable expectation thereof, lists for sale, sells, exchanges, buys or rents, or offers or attempts to negotiate a sale, exchange, purchase or rental of real estate or an interest therein, or collects or offers or attempts to collect rent for the use of real estate or solicits for prospective purchasers or assists or directs in the procuring of prospects or the negotiation or closing of any transaction which does or is contemplated to result in the sale, exchange, leasing, renting or auctioning of any real estate or negotiates, or offers or attempts or agrees to negotiate a loan secured or to be secured by mortgage or other encumbrance upon or transfer of any real estate for others, or any person who, for pecuniary gain or expectation of pecuniary gain conducts a public or private competitive sale of lands or any interest in lands.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back