Legal procedure for roommate assault?

miamirobyn

Jurisdiction
Florida
I live with four roommates - two cousins who are friends of mine, their aunt, and their aunt's boyfriend. Earlier today the aunt lost her mind over something I'd done that had annoyed her. I suggested we either drop the issue/agree to disagree or she simply ask that I didn't do it again, and she proceeded to start screaming insults and threats at me before slapping and shoving at me. Fortunately her boyfriend restrained her after the first time she hit me, but I'm moving out immediately.

What can I do legally to protect myself? I want to go down to the local police station and ask to have an officer at the house when I move because I'm afraid she'll attack me again during the process. I'm just not sure what other steps I can do to protect myself over the next couple days but I do intend to file a report about the attack and get a restraining order even though I'm moving, if that would be a good idea from a legal standpoint. Should I file a report on some things she's stolen from me or just leave them and be glad to get out of there?

You can always ask the police to do a civil standby when you move your stuff.

The cops won't standby for hours, usually 15-20 minutes.

You could move when everyone is gone.

Once you're gone, just stay away from the ones you dislike.

I live with four roommates - two cousins who are friends of mine, their aunt, and their aunt's boyfriend.

Now you understand why that was a recipe for disaster.

slapping and shoving at me.

Should have called the police on the spot.

I'm moving out immediately.

Good thinking.

I want to go down to the local police station and ask to have an officer at the house when I move because I'm afraid she'll attack me again during the process.

All you can do is ask for a "civil standby." Then it's up to the police to decide. They may not take you seriously since you didn't report the assault when it happened.

I do intend to file a report about the attack and get a restraining order

The longer you wait, the less convincing you will be.

Should I file a report on some things she's stolen from me

That's up to you. But if this is something else that happened some time age and you never reported it, that's one more thing that won't be convincing.

just leave them and be glad to get out of there?

I'm gonna go with that.

If the incident happened earlier today nobody it's going to question a delay of a few hours in reporting it.
Yes, make the report of the assault and ask for a restraining order to help prevent more trouble after you move out.
Round up a few friends to help quickly pack and haul your property out of the house. Anything you forget will most likely not be recovered later. Anything you believe was previously stolen is already gone and lacking any evidence is not worth reporting.
Definitely make the police report in order to support your argument later if you are sued for breaking a lease agreement.

Back