Legal malpractice in work comp case. My attorney didn't represent me.

Elizabeth Cook

Jurisdiction
Indiana
I hired an attorney to represent me in a workcomp case. We had a mediation with a mediator the insurance company, their attorney, myself and my attorney. During the mediation my attorney did not say anything to me or anything in my behalf. At one time I asked him to help me and he replied I wouldn't like what he had to say, so he said nothing. When it was over he said you had a 100% case. But yet he gave me no advice during the mediation.

I hired an attorney to represent me in a workcomp case. We had a mediation with a mediator the insurance company, their attorney, myself and my attorney. During the mediation my attorney did not say anything to me or anything in my behalf. At one time I asked him to help me and he replied I wouldn't like what he had to say, so he said nothing. When it was over he said you had a 100% case. But yet he gave me no advice during the mediation.

If you are unsatisfied with the representation received, I suggest you first discuss the matter with your attorney.

If you remain dissatisfied after that discussion, or the attorney refuses to meet with you, your next option might be to file a complaint with your state's agency that regulates lawyers.

I have done countless mediations. One where claimant's counsel refuses to speak is unheard of, pardon the pun. Did your attorney seriously not utter a word or did the attorney just not say what you wished him to say? As the client, did you ever ask to speak to counsel during the mediation?

I have no idea what you mean by a 100% case.

Back