LEGAL AIDE Don''t expect anything for nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mb45

I was involuntary committed to our county's inpatient ward. On day 2 I called mental health legal aide. After speaking to the lawyer I said I wanted a hearing as to my commitment/ release. He said that he would speak to the Dr. The mext day the Dr handed me a form for a hearing that they needed to keep me in for 6 months.( day 4 of 60 for invol). I then stopped the meds. 2 weeks later the Dr filed for a hearing for medication. At the hearing the Dr made a statement that I could not comprehend my condition as I could not comprehent the NY Times at which time I tell my lawyer that I had to read the NY Times in 7th grade. When I was on the stand he never asked me if I ever read the NY Times. The Dr also said that I would need 3-4 weeks on meds prior to release. After 2 days on the meds I am told that we would have a family meeting for my release which occurred the day after the meeting.

If the lawyer applied for a hearing when I first asked I would have had the hearing much sooner. It never came up at the hearing the Dr's first petition for 6 months. Shouldn't this have been the first issue? Or was the first petition a stalling tatic as the court would not act on this?

Isn't it my lawyer's prpose to represent me? While the lawyer was with me and the Dr discussing meds he told me to take them. Shouldn't this have been done in private?

As a result of this misrepresentation I am stuck with a $60,000 billl which I refuse to pay as my rights were violated. I'm waiting for that day in court to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back