Legal age to move in MO? Moving out at 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

RWHMAD

I will be 17 in less than 6 months and i've been told by multiple people that you can indeed move out at the age of 17 in missouri because of the loop hole in the law stating that you are to old for an amber alert (runaway) and when police have been involved, they cannot make you move back. I want to move out because of the fact that i have kiddo, my boyfriend has had his own place and very stable job, been together for almost 3 years, I have a job, medically emancipated, and ive been supporting myself since the day i turned 16. I want to know all the legality issues that could be associated with this before I make my case against my father, because i know he will search this frmo top to bottom.

You are not legally emancipated and cannot sign contracts. furthermore how old is BF? Parents can legally forbid you to live with this person and the law would be on their side. Do you want to bring legal consequences to your BF? If you are self supporting (not outside help including BF) then you could pursue emancipation if your state has a statute. More on Teen emancipation here http://www.parentnook.com/teen-emancipation/

I will be 17 in less than 6 months and i've been told by multiple people that you can indeed move out at the age of 17 in missouri because of the loop hole in the law stating that you are to old for an amber alert (runaway) and when police have been involved, they cannot make you move back. I want to move out because of the fact that i have kiddo, my boyfriend has had his own place and very stable job, been together for almost 3 years, I have a job, medically emancipated, and ive been supporting myself since the day i turned 16. I want to know all the legality issues that could be associated with this before I make my case against my father, because i know he will search this frmo top to bottom.

Read it and rejoice, or perhaps weep:

Missouri statute does not specify age limits below the age of majority (18), but it does offer some limited exceptions for minors.

A minor may consent to medical treatment if married or if the treatment is for pregnancy, sexually transmitted infections, or substance abuse.

A married minor (if the spouse is 18 or older) may be included in the joint ownership of real estate.

Missouri does not have a formal procedure for the emancipation of minors, in other words a minor may not be declared an "adult" in the eyes of the law (becoming eligible for all of the privileges and responsibilities of adulthood).

Missouri does allow for the emancipation of minors by court order in some limited circumstances, which include:

• Express parental consent (waiving parental rights)
  • Implied parental consent (minor is already living apart from parents and supporting him or herself)
  • Significant change in status (this may include military enlistment or marriage)

Age of Majority in Missouri is 18 (common law)

Eligibility for Emancipation: If married, minor may convey or encumber real estate if spouse is of age (§442.040)

Contracts by Minors: May be ratified after 18 (§431.060); for real property, may be disavowed within 2 years (§442.080)

Minors' Ability to Sue: By guardian, next friend, or court appointed (CR §52.02)

Minors' Consent to Medical Treatment: Minor may consent if: married; treatment is for pregnancy, excluding abortion; venereal disease, drug or substance abuse

In Missouri, a child that runs away (absents himself or herself from the parental home without parental authority) is committing a Status Offense:

an act committed by a child that would not be considered a crime if committed by an adult but that may subject
the child to juvenile or family court jurisdiction. Those acts include: truancy, beyond parental control, runaway, behavior and associations injurious to the welfare, and other acts that are applicable only to children. See Section 211.031(2), Revised Statutes of Missouri.

I would be more concerned about bf being arrested and convicted for harboring a runaway and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Of course then she would move on to another man and complain that this one is not supporting his child when no one hires him because of the criminal record she conned him onto getting.

The legal age to move out in Missouri is 18. An anomoly in the law means that many police agencies will be reluctant to return home a 17 year old who is in a safe place. Do not mistake this for meaning it is legal for you to move out at 17. Make no mistake, if Mom and Dad want you back home badly enough, you will be back home. There is nothing in Missouri law that will prevent Mom and Dad from picking you up bodily, putting you in the car and dragging your little ass back home themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back