Left without Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

trishglammy

I live in subsidized housing in a small town. Last night the heat went out. I have the kind where it flows water to heat up the apt. It didn't get cold in the apt until 9pm. That is when I noticed that it must have went out. So, I called the manager, and she was rude about calling someone that late to fix it. Mind you, I have three small kids, and I am ill in health. She got a hold of the handyman, who is also on the board of this apt. He came by, replaced the thermistat, but that did not work. He tried to warm up the pipes in the basement, he said one was really cold. After that failed he came back into the apt and told me that it must be one of the pipes up here and to put a hair dryer to them and warm them up, he was done trying and if I call that late again he garantees he wont be coming out. While shaking his finger at me. I told him that I did not own a hair dryer, he told me to figure it out. He left. The temp in the apt was now only 62 degrees. On top of being disabled I have bronchitus right now, and no immune system due to other health reasons. It was late and luckily my bf was here and was able to figure it out. It took him two hours. The man did not call to see if it was fixed. The cover to for the air conditioner blows in cold air really bad, and there was a wind advisory yesterday which made that pipe freeze. The handyman left his van here last night because it ran out of gas, when he came to get it today about 11am. My boyfriend went out and talked to him and told him the cover on the AC needs to be replaced.

My question is, can he leave me through the night without heat, in the middle of winter and 40 below weather? What should I do now?

You have suffered no damages.

No damages, no case.

He did plenty by coming out in the middle of the cold night and tried to fix the problem. Did he owe you more?

He should have fixed it. I am not wanting to sue them, but I am wanting to know my rights, if hes allowed to just leave without fixing the problem. Having no heat in the middle of a freezing cold night isn't fun. If he can't fix it, is it then my responsibility, or do I find someone who can and have them bill the community housing. Innerlaner, you say that is if I asked for my heat to go out so that I could inconvienance them as much as possible. 9pm at night isnt the middle of the night, it is late evening. With my health I can not go without heat, and I merely asking my rights. He is on the board to this place, the handyman is, so if he couldn't fix it, maybe he should call someone who could. I did apologize for it being so late, but it is not like this is something I could have foreseen nor prevented.

I am asking my rights for many reasons. When I moved in there was no light in the kitchen and it took 8 months to get one put in, only cuz I kept calling and asking about it. Also when I moved in there was a leak in the bathroom sink and that took 9 months to get fixed. Also the smoke detectors were removed from their wires, before I moved in and that was supposed to be fixed before I moved in, and it never was. There are just the wires where the smoke detectors should be. The dryer doesn't dry like it should, it takes all day to do one load of laundry, and once in awhile there is a smokey smell coming from there. I had someone come clean out my back vents, as well as inside, but this still does not work. I asked about getting that fixed nearly 7 months ago. Either the roof is leaking of there is some form of water coming in the attic (if there is an attic) cuz there is now water dripping and mold forming on the ceilings of 4 rooms. The vent in the bathroom drips water, but I have not seen mold on the outside of that. My door did not lock for 4 months. My fridge drips on the inside getting all my food wet, if I put the temp up high it will freeze the water to the food, which makes less of a mess.

I have asked for things to be fixed nicely, and before last night the landlord never was rude to me. I don't nag, nor do I complain every second of every day, which is probably why it takes so long to get anything done.

I understand the inconvienance of things, as well as knowing I am not the only apt in town, but things that I need to live, heat, water, stove, fridge,, I shouldn't feel bad for asking to be fixed. If I could fix it myself I would. Tenants must have some rights when it comes to this. I don't want to move nor do I want a poor relationship with those that I rent from. But I do believe I have some rights. I just need to know what they are.

Oh, and Innerlaner before you get a preconcieved notion of who I am and what I am after, let me explain something. I used to be able, I used to work, I am an educated woman, who used to get paid quite well at what I did. I owned my first business at the age of 14, with finicial advisors and all that legal crap, but it was mine. I married a man who flipped a switch and became abusive. I had three kids before I was able to get the back bone to leave. When I did he kidnapped the kids, tramatizing them beyond belief, to the point I am certain I do not want to know what he all did to them, and nearly killed me. Leaving me disabled. This is not the life I wanted, this is not where I thought I would be. So, yes, I live in subsidized housing, and no, I do not work, but that does not mean I am lazy and out to get what ever I can squeeze out of the world.

I was sent this by a friend... is this true?

According to 48 U.S. states, it is illegal for any landlord to operate in that fashion. Technically, they are to have soomeone on call 24/7 for any emergency, be you have children or not. Two states are not required ... Hawaii and Alaska, although Alaska has perhaps the most solid heating industry in the country today. However, if necessary, both Hawaii and Alaska landlords will provide service with no undue indignation.

Tell your dad when he talks to the lawyer on your behalf, he wants to sue her for the amount of the property, less 30%, plus the entire amount you have made payments on this place times 3.

Example: property: $75,000 = $53,000 for you
Rent: $300 have been there say 15 months = $4500 times 3 = $13,500
Total Awarded: $66,500.00

I'm more than sure the landlord would settle out of court for half that ... and she can neither evict or hassle you either without faces severe criminal charges.

Just a little something to think about ...

From your original post, it sounded like it was a one time situation. You called, the handyman came out, tried to fix the problem but couldn't and he left. Then you ask if he could leave you through the night without heat. He couldn't fix it in the middle of the night, what was he suppose to do? Stay with you? Invite you over to his heated home?

With all the problems you're having, why are you still there? It's one thing if you're bind by the lease but why are you still there after the lease expired? Like the saying goes, "you get what you pay for." I'm not saying all this to be mean. I'm just asking why stay and fight when you can take your business elsewhere.

Last edited:
Simple answer, my apt is 2 minutes from my best friend, and 5 minutes from my parents, and my ex hubby still wants me dead. Being near family makes me feel safer. I live in a very small town, and these are the only apts that are subsidized. I am unable to drive, so I also rely on them to transport to get groceries and other common items. The thing with the handyman, is that he could fix it, we were able to fix it ourselves given time to figure it out, but he had the tools that would have taken him 15 more minutes to fix it, and instead taking my bf 2 hours. He left us to our own devices to figure it out. He didnt know for sure if it was a pipe up here, but he didnt care, he was going home. In the state in which I live, I believe its law if a landlord cant find someone to fix it they put that person up in a hotel that night until it can be fixed. You dont leave children in a cold apt and hope they figure it out. He didnt even call to find out if we did get it on. Right before he was able to fix it, the temp was 53 in the apt. If we couldnt fix it, we would have either frozen or had to find a place to stay. Not only should it be if its not law that they make sure your heat is working or your in a hotel, but it is also Christian. People shouldnt let others go cold. If I was home alone, there is no way I would have figured it out. I already took my self injection shot that I take before bed, which means I am very drowsy.

I stay here due to lack of options. Even if I wanted to move, there are waiting lists a year long to get into at the nearest city. But then I would be alone, without having someone close by if I were to need them. I havent even been here a full year, so the lease hasnt expired. And when its time to renew, I will. This is where I need to be til I can buy my own place, and live independently. Besides, my father has a billion dollar business in the works, and this will not be where I am stuck forever. I just want to make the best of it, and know my rights.

Even though I dont work, live in subsidized housing and I am disabled, does not make me any less human nor less deservant of rights. I shouldnt be treated badly by people who just like the paycheck but not the work.

heat

i live with my daughter she was 4 kids the heathing with out we are renting this trailer but landlard wont send eney one out to fix it what can i do my grandkids cannt stay in the cold

i live with my daughter she was 4 kids the heat went out the landlord wont do eney thing about it what can i do to get heat for this kids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back