Recovery of Premises Leased equipment sold at sheriff's sale

Status
Not open for further replies.

semperfinance

I bought several cash registers at a sheriff's sale. Later it turns out they were leased from a third party. Can I legally resell them?
Has the lessor given up their rights when they did not make claim before the sale?

I bought several cash registers at a sheriff's sale. Later it turns out they were leased from a third party. Can I legally resell them?
Has the lessor given up their rights when they did not make claim before the sale?

You should read the information provided by the county sheriff on his or her official website.
When you made the purchase, you should have been provided information, read it.
It essentially tells you to consult YOUR attorney before proceeding, as the sheriff can't give legal advice.
In many cases, the riginal owner had time to redeem property, not all property, but some.

Essentially buying items at a sheriff's sale is like shooting craps. A number between 2 to 12 will be revealed every roll. Some numbers statsically appear more than others, if you roll the dice 10,000 times.

You legally own the items, unless the previous owner has the right of redemption and exercises it.

Pennsylvania has no right of redemption.

PA may not call it redemption, but the effect is the same.
The reason(s) the items came to be in the sheriff's custody and control are also relevant.

Call it what you wish, your goal as purchaser, I presume, is to perfect your title to the goods.

I would submit that this won't matter unless the one with superior title (the lessor) decides to pursue getting the property returned.

As these are cash registers, as opposed to something more valuable (or real property), I'd guess you might be safe passing on your inferior title to something the lessor is likely not to pursue.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back