Lease question

Status
Not open for further replies.

cugk02

My girlfriend lives in an apartment complex that is mainly for college students with 4 bed and 4 bathrooms per apartment, with each person having their own lease. Her roommate said some very hurtful things about her one day, not knowing she was there, and eventually she moved out. She contacted the front office to see if there was any way that she could break her lease, she was willing to pay a fee or whatever to get out of there. The office told her there was no way to break the lease unless she got someone to take over the lease, what they called sublease the room. She got her name put on a list they give to people who are looking to lease an apartment because at that time all of the apartments were full. Now the apartment complex seems to magically have gotten some vacancies and they are trying to lease to people instead of giving the people the names of people who are trying to get out. To make matters worse the girl that said the not nice things and another girl from her apartment are now moving out. They put their names on the same list and 2 weeks later they had people to move into their rooms. My first question is whether or not she has a reason to break the lease essentially because there was no way to break a lease, but if there were empty apartments obviously people broke there leases without getting someone to fill it. My second question is whether or not she has reason to break the lease because she should have been one of the people to get her room subleased, not the other two girls. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm sorry to hear about the stituation. Without knowing more, here is my take:

1) You don't know what happened in the other situations and the only thing that matters is what your girlfriend's lease states.

2) Moving out because someone said hurtful things is not cause to break a lease. Note that they are merely trying to accomodate you by having someone else take over your lease as a sublease, but it is your girlfriend who ultimately is responsible.

3) The complex has no obligation to sublease your girlfriend's apartment before they put in new rentals. In fact, it doesn't make business sense for them to do so and this sounds more like an accomodation when practical. It is your girlfriend's responsibility to try to find a subtenant if she doesn't want to live there and should attempt to do so.

4) Why not take things up with the girl whom she feels made her move out? Unfortunately I'm not sure there is a remedy if it was just some hurtful things that were said. One must have a thicker skin and deal with it accordingly... I'm sorry to say this but that is the situation with roomates.

I hope things work out for your girlfriend and good luck.

cugk02 said:
My girlfriend lives in an apartment complex that is mainly for college students with 4 bed and 4 bathrooms per apartment, with each person having their own lease. Her roommate said some very hurtful things about her one day, not knowing she was there, and eventually she moved out. She contacted the front office to see if there was any way that she could break her lease, she was willing to pay a fee or whatever to get out of there. The office told her there was no way to break the lease unless she got someone to take over the lease, what they called sublease the room. She got her name put on a list they give to people who are looking to lease an apartment because at that time all of the apartments were full. Now the apartment complex seems to magically have gotten some vacancies and they are trying to lease to people instead of giving the people the names of people who are trying to get out. To make matters worse the girl that said the not nice things and another girl from her apartment are now moving out. They put their names on the same list and 2 weeks later they had people to move into their rooms. My first question is whether or not she has a reason to break the lease essentially because there was no way to break a lease, but if there were empty apartments obviously people broke there leases without getting someone to fill it. My second question is whether or not she has reason to break the lease because she should have been one of the people to get her room subleased, not the other two girls. Any help would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back