lease ended landlord keeps calling

Status
Not open for further replies.

tchip3

my lease expired here in albuquerque NM, on Jan 31 2005. my landlord keeps calling me saying that i need to pay her for feb 2005 rent because i didnt give her 30 days notice that i was leaving. after my move i cant find my lease to review it. did i have to give her 30 days notice, i thought that the lease had a definate beginning and end so i had to be out by jan 31st.

help please she is threatening to sue me

lease ending...

Hi,

(standard disclaimer, I'm no lawyer but..!)

A lease is an agreement to stay in a apartment for a set period of time. So, unless the lease states so otherwise, it should not be assumed that you will stay longer than the original time stated in the lease nor should it be assumed that you will leave. If your landlord asked for 30 days, they should be given 30 days.

Think of it this way: You are a landlord and you depend on the income for your rental unit(s). You know that one of your tenants leases is about to be up but they have not communicated if they are leaving or staying so you plan on having that income only to find out it will not be there. How will you feel?

With that being said, you both should have being communicating with each other but I think I would still side with your landlord.

Donald

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back