Lease break help -- landlord extorting us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat20

Good evening,

My wife and I are forced to break an apartment lease because my employment has moved, and as a result, we need to also. We've been in good standing with the landlord -- no late payments, or problems otherwise. (Aside from the fact that they can't seem to fix basic things in our apartment.)

However, when I first found out that we would need to move, I approached the management and made them aware of the situation. At that time, I was told it was a 2 month rent fee for breaking our lease. A month later, when I approached them again, a drastically different picture was painted for me:

- We would need to pay the equivalent of 2 months rent.
- We will also need to pay 45 days of rent on top of this.
- We will lose my concession for the time that we rented the property. (I was given a $25/month discount, which they want to collect from me if I break the lease.)

We haven't signed any lease-breaking papers, but I did re-read our lease -- no specific conditions are listed for the tenant or landlord in the event that the lease is broken. My question is this -- do they have the right to demand whatever they want at a whim? I have signed nothing which dictates terms of a lease break.

Please help!

Ty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back