Roomate Lease agreements

Status
Not open for further replies.

honda1711

I recently moved out of my condo that I had been living in since January 6,2009. My roomates parents were the landlords. Before I moved in I filled out an application to rent/screening form. I never once saw or signed a lease before moving in. It was my understanding that the condo was a month to month rental since it was never brought to my attention by my roomate or his parents. The first time I saw the lease was when I change the lock because my roomate was letting people sleep in my room. I then thought nothing of the lease, and gave them a key to my room.
I gave a written 30 day notice on June 30th 2009. When it was received, I got an email from my landlord stating that I was breaking my 1 year lease. Attached to the email was a copy of a lease my roomate had signed. In the email she stated that I either need to stay till the end of the lease or pay the remaining rent till 12/31/09. My name was on the lease but I had never signed it. When I responded to the email saying I never signed that lease and asked for what I signed they told me that "my roomate signed for me". They then sent me a copy of the application. The application was a printed copy which I hand wrote on in blue ink. When I received the emailed copy, it was my hand writing but on the top of the second page there was the address typed with 1 year Lease right after that. It was obviously altered. They they went on to say that I "should have read the application because it said 1 year lease". It continued with harassing emails.
I moved all my stuff out on July 9th 2009 for fear of retaliation. I then received an email on July 14th 2009 from my landlords in a more formal manner stating:
"We have spoken to our lawyer about the 1 year lease and according to the lawyer the lease does not require your signature. You are fully obligated to this lease as you were given a copy of it and you have been paying and issuing checks for rent each month. You also signed the Rental Application that clearly states at the top of page 2 that it is a 1 year lease."
Followed by a statement rejecting my 30 day notice.
"Per our lawyer we are unable to accept your letter to vacate and hold you fully responsible for your half of the rent ($600) until the end of the lease, 12/31/09."
They gave a me a few options to pay them or they were going to take me to court.
I then canceled my last check for the month of July and cut all ties. They did not contact me untill July 31st 2009 (via text now)asking for the keys. I then mailed them. They text'd me again this afternoon stating that my check bounced (it was canceled) and that I need to send another one.

Now that I've written a novel and a half, (hopefully someone is willing to read my schpeal) I want to know if I have to pay them or did they void that by rejecting my 30 day notice to a contract I never signed?

In the absence of a written (signed) lease, a tenant is considered to have a month to month tenancy. In other words, the lease runs from the first day of each month to the last.

As a general rule (and this can vary a bit from state to state) such tenancies can be terminated with a 30 day written notice. You've done that.

You do, however, owe them rent for July since you provided them written notice on June 30th. Your tenancy would then conclude at the end of July. And, quite frankly, I'd be surprised if you didn't owe for August since you did not release the keys back to them until after July 31st.

Even if you had broken a year lease, your landlords could not simply sit back and do nothing and expect you to pay each month until the lease expired. They would have an obligation to make an honest effort to rerent the unit. If this should go to court a judge would generally rule that a landlord has roughly two months to find new tenants to take over the rental unit.

Once new tenants are in place, the original tenant is no longer financially obligated to pay rent. Landlords cannot "double dip",i.e., collect rent from the previous tenant and the current tenant.

Gail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back