Extension, Renewal Lease after proposed term period is over

spunky926

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
I have a lease that was for one year and due to expire June 30, 2018. The terms indicate that I must be offered a renewal of the lease not less than 60 days and that I have 60 days to respond to the new proposed terms.

Today, June 14, I received a certified envelope with a letter dated June 3, 2018 that due to inflation, the rent will be increasing by 3%. Ok, I understand this is reasonable, but please read further. At the end of May, the central air unit went (probably about 20+ years old) and he did replace it (service was on June 2, 2018) - please keep reading. I've had nothing but issues with him not fixing things in a timely fashion or at all. At this point, he replaced a non-working dishwasher with a used one that worked for about 2 weeks (now the water comes on sometimes, but sometimes not). The water constantly drips in the one bathroom tub and is rusted. The garage door is not attached to a handle to pull it up and down, so there is a gap between the top of the garage door, which lets out and in cold/warm air - even got some snow in the winter time. Another item, is the one contractor who did fix some things on the house the end of February told me not to use the attic stairs - here I am in June with decorations and items that need to go upstairs and I need summer stuff down. I have asked repeatedly for this to be fixed, as I am not able to access part of the house that I am paying rent for.

My questions are as follows: 1) Since the lease technically expires June 30th; a) can he make a change to the original terms of the lease since we will technically be in a month to month, as the lease does not indicate an automatic renewal; b) if yes, how much time does he need to give me on these changes (I know that if he did it the right way, it would have been needed by May 1 and I would have needed to reply within 60 days); c) how much time do I have to reply; d) If I reply that I don't accept the terms and indicate that he hasn't been responsive to his obligations - what happens next - keeps going at the same rental rate until he gives me 30 days notice to get out or I do the same; 2) In regards to the non-access to the attic, what are my options to hold him accountable and same for other repairs?

Honestly, I didn't see how many things on this house were out of shape until I moved in. According to Zillow, the estimate on rent for this house is $150 less than what I pay currently. I didn't list everything here, but gave a general sense of the more impactful repairs. I don't think I would have such a hard time with this if the Landlord was reasonable with his actions over the past year, but I do feel that the raise of the rent is to cover his expense for the air conditioning unit he replaced (central air) - and honestly, I don't want this guy to think he can just do whatever he feels like.

Most of us are inclined NOT to read lengthy posts.

That said, you alone must make the choice to leave the unit or reup for a new lease.

If your spidy senses are tingling, you should heed the warning.

If you aren't willing to pay the new rent then start searching now for a new home.
If you want to remain don't expect circumstances to change.

Back