Laxadaisy Lawyer doesn't seem to be protecting my parents interests

Status
Not open for further replies.

debc

I have taken POA for my parents because my father is in hospice and my mother has all that to worry about. They are currently in litigation from the sale of their business to evict the buyers for breach of contract both on the lease and the note.
They have an attorney that I have recently started asking questions as this is now my battle in their name. Long story short. Tenent has been paying money into some account for monies owed to my parents for the past 8 months since eviction process started. 18k is being disputed which leaves approximately 17k. In June 07 I asked the attorney if there was some way he could petition the courts to release the undisputed funds to my parents because of the anticipated expenses looming over eventual death and burial. The attorney said that he would file a motion so I expected to here from him in a timely manner. About two weeks ago I called to ask when the court date was set and if they had mailed the filed copy as I had not received it yet. I was told it was not filed by his secretary and that the attorney wanted to talk to me about it first. In the meantime I had already faxed a notorized copy of the POA. The first week of July I called but he ws not in and told again he would be contacting me and also informed that he would be on vacation 7/6 thru 7/14.
On 7/9 I talked with the secretary and she said she would be filing papers thaqt day or "tomorrow".
Today the secretary called to say that the motion was filed and the court date will not be until August 10th 2007. I was outraged as I know my father will be dead by then. I asked why she couldn't put in that this was an emergency situation and ask the courts to hear the motion immediately and all she replied was that they "couldn't do that-they have to follow rules and the same judge had to hear the case and that was when he would be available!"
Is this true for the state of Washington? Is there no way they could have let the courts know the urgency of this?
The money from the sale of the business and the lease was their retirement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back