Lawyer obligations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucia

I received a citation for theft under $100 in the state of Maryland late January. Within a couple of I hired a lawyer, in the county that I received the conviction in. While I was there for the consultation I explained my citation with him briefly. This is my first offense and I have an otherwise clean record. He agreed to take my case and I signed some paperwork and paid the flat fee he quoted me. Now my court date is on March 1st and I have not heard from him since. He has submitted his name to the court as my lawyer.

Now I realize that this case is not too complicated, and he must handle similar case pretty often. Is it strange that he has not contacted me for any other personal information? Wouldn't personal history be pertinent in this situation? Growing worried, I contacted his office and I was told all that was necessary of me was to show up at his office 20 minutes prior to my hearing.

Now should I be worried?

As you said it is a SIMPLE case. If you are lying about your record the DA will have proof of it, so he just assumes you are telling the truth. He already knows what he is going to do and what you are going to get. Just follow his instructions. Let him be the lawyer and stop stealing things. You will be fine!

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back