Lawyer Licensed in Multiple States?

J

JayKay

Jurisdiction
Florida
My father now lives in Florida. He moved from Mass. His Mass lawyer just drafted a Will for my father and a Living Will. In the Living Will, he wrote, "This Will shall be construed in accordance with the Laws of the State of Florida." Because he did not say, "Laws of Mass," must he be licensed to practice law in Florida? Further, if I search "www.floridabar.org" for this atty, and he does NOT appear, does that mean he's NOT licensed in Florida? Many Thanks!

My father now lives in Florida. He moved from Mass. His Mass lawyer just drafted a Will for my father and a Living Will. In the Living Will, he wrote, "This Will shall be construed in accordance with the Laws of the State of Florida." Because he did not say, "Laws of Mass," must he be licensed to practice law in Florida? Further, if I search "www.floridabar.org" for this atty, and he does NOT appear, does that mean he's NOT licensed in Florida? Many Thanks!

No, the lawyer need not be licensed in FL to draft a will for a client that retained legal services in MA.

If your father doubts the authenticity of the will, he can simply draft himself a new will using many online sites to do so.

Or, he can create a holographic will. Here's how in FL:

A "Holographic" Will is ALWAYS invalid in Florida, unless it is properly executed | South Florida Estate Planning Law Blog

Otherwise he can use an online service to create one electronically:

Making a Will - Create Your Last Will Online | LegalZoom.com

No, the lawyer need not be licensed in FL to draft a will for a client that retained legal services in MA.

If your father doubts the authenticity of the will, he can simply draft himself a new will using many online sites to do so.

Or, he can create a holographic will. Here's how in FL:

A "Holographic" Will is ALWAYS invalid in Florida, unless it is properly executed | South Florida Estate Planning Law Blog

Otherwise he can use an online service to create one electronically:

Making a Will - Create Your Last Will Online | LegalZoom.com
His Lawyer drafted both a Will and a Living Will for my father. My father is currently in Florida. His Atty is from Mass. In the Living Will, it says, "This Living Will shall be construed in accordance with the Laws of the State of Florida." I do not believe my father's atty is licensed in FL but does he need to be? Maybe you already answered this question but I want to be clear that I fully understand. Thx!

I do not believe my father's atty is licensed in FL but does he need to be?

No, he doesn't need to be licensed in Florida.

However, it would be a good idea for your father to have the papers checked by a Florida attorney to make sure they conform to Florida legal requirements.

His Lawyer drafted both a Will and a Living Will for my father. My father is currently in Florida. His Atty is from Mass. In the Living Will, it says, "This Living Will shall be construed in accordance with the Laws of the State of Florida." I do not believe my father's atty is licensed in FL but does he need to be? Maybe you already answered this question but I want to be clear that I fully understand. Thx!

Is that CLEAR enough for you, mate?????

Back