Laws for private clubs in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

private_club

Hello,
I have some questions about what is legal/illegal to have and/or operate in a business that deems itself a private club.

Say a private lounge... where can I find information on what is and is not allowed in private clubs?
- is liquor allowed in private clubs?
- can coffee makers be placed in private clubs? (any special requirements seeing that it is private?)
- food? Can it be served and or ordered in a private club?

I know that special licenses must be obtained for these types of things in most places of business but I'm trying to find detailed information on how things of this type can be handled in a private club setting. Say a membership fee is paid and there is a retail establishment in the front of the space but the back is labeled and deemed private for members only.

Any assistance or references would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

You almost certainly will want to speak to an attorney since what you want to accomplish will come with many sets of variables. You can perform research at California's Alcoholic Beverage Control website. You will want to review the different license types to serve or sell alcohol in California. There may also be local requirements.

Don't expect to be able to finagle something through the licensing system which probably has been tried many times before. I'm guessing you suspect this and are trying to do it the right way. The PDF that is available on the California Alcoholic Beverage control website will explain to you the different types of licenses and how they may apply to what you're trying to do. Figured I would kick start the conversation and there are other people from California here that may have insight specifically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back