Law suite

Status
Not open for further replies.

judyden

I have a $ 600 hospital bill. It was turn over to a collection company. I wrote to them and told them I could only afford to pay $25 a month. They sent me the check back and told me they only could accept $50 . I then sent them another $25 check telling them I'm only getting 16 to 30 hours a week and I only can afford to pay the $25 to please accept my payment. Of course they didn't cash the check and didn't send it back. Now they file a law suite against me.I have the copy of the letter telling me they would not asccept my payment. Is there anything I can do to prevent the law suite.

Last edited:
The only thing you can do now to prevent the lawsuit is to pay it in full.

I know that. If I could afford to pay it off I would. But is there something wrong when you try to pay something and they refuse to take payment toward the amount you owe. I live from pay check to pay check. Its not like I wasn't trying to pay them.

A collection agency is a business just like any other business. They want to make a profit. They most likely bought your $600 debt from the hospital for perhaps $300. If you paid their minimum of $50 per month they would have earned $300 less their expenses within 14 months. At your desired payment of $25 per month would have extended full payment out over 28 months, thus their profit is drastically lowered. It may be more profitable for them to disallow your offer and take you to court where they may get a quicker settlement. Thus, civil court with full payment within 4 to 5 months, or wait 28 months for you to pay $25/mo.? I think they'll take you to court. Doesn't mean you are a bad person not trying to pay the bill, yet business is business. The collection agency just wants their money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back